This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Study of Thermal Characteristics of Lithium-ion Batteries for Vehicle Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lithium ion batteries can be developed for vehicle applications from high power specification to high energy specification. Thermal response of a battery cell is the main factor to be considered for battery selection in the design of an electrified vehicle because some materials in the cells have low thermal stability and they may become thermally unstable when their working temperature becomes higher than the upper limit of allowed operating range. In this paper the thermal characteristics of different sizes and forms of commercially available batteries is investigated through electro-thermal analysis. The relation between cell capacity and cell internal resistance is also studied. The authors find that certain criteria can be defined for battery selection for electric vehicles, hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. These criteria can be served as design guidelines for battery development for vehicle applications.
CitationMa, Y. and Teng, H., "Comparative Study of Thermal Characteristics of Lithium-ion Batteries for Vehicle Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0668, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0668.
- Bernardi, D., Pawlikowski, E., Newman, J., “A General Energy Balance for Battery Systems,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 132, 5 (1985).
- Inui, Kobayashi, Y., Watanabe, Y., Watase, Y., Kitamura, Y., “Simulation of Temperature Distribution in Cylindrical and Prismatic Lithium Ion Secondary Batteries,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.48, pp.2103-2109, 2007.
- Al-Hallaj, S., Maleki, H., Hong, J. S., Selman, J.R., “Thermal Modeling and Design Considerations of Lithium-ion Batteries,” J. Power Sources, Vol.83, 1 (1999).
- Hatchard, T. D., MacNeil, D. D., Basu, A., Dahn, J. R., “Thermal Model of Cylindrical and Prismatic Li-ion Cells,” J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol.148, 7, 2001.
- Evans, T. I., White, R. E., “A Thermal Analysis of a Spirally Wound Battery Using a Simple Mathematical Model,” J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol.136, 2145, 1989.
- Simulia, ABAQUS/Standard documentation for version 6.8-1; www.simulia.com/support/documentation.html