This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lubrication Analysis of Crankshaft Bearing Considering Crankshaft Deformation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is the direct interaction between the crankshaft and the crankshaft bearing in an internal combustion engine. Current lubrication analysis of the crankshaft bearing was generally limited in the tribology discipline, only the factors relating to the bearing were considered, and the journal axis was generally supposed to be parallel to the centerline of bearing. In reality, the crankshaft deformation under load will result in the journal misalignment in the bearing. Although the journal misalignment was considered in a few of the lubrication analyses of crankshaft bearings, the causes of journal misalignment were usually thought to be caused by the manufacture, the assembly errors and the deformation of cylinder block. In order to simplify the problem, the journal misalignment was generally assumed to have constant magnitude and direction in an operating cycle of engine. In this paper, a crankshaft-bearing system was taken as the research object and the lubrication performance of crankshaft bearing considering the crankshaft deformation under load were analyzed. The crankshaft deformation and the bearing load were calculated by the whole crankshaft beam-element method. The deformation of bearing under oil film pressure was calculated by the deformation matrix method. The axis orbit of the crankshaft bearing was calculated by the dynamic method. The results show that the local axis orbits on the front-end and the rear-end plane of crankshaft bearing are changed remarkably when the effect of crankshaft deformation is considered. The journal misalignment results in the maximum oil film pressure of bearing be increased obviously, the minimum oil film thickness of bearing be reduced in the most of time of an engine cycle and the oil film pressure distribution of bearing be changed, but has only a little effect on the end leakage flow-rate and the frictional coefficient of bearing.
CitationSun, J., zhao, X., and Wang, H., "Lubrication Analysis of Crankshaft Bearing Considering Crankshaft Deformation," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0613, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0613.
- Maspeyrot, P. “Shape Defects and Misalignment Effects in Connecting-rod Bearings,” 15th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology 317 322 1988
- Maspeyrot, P. “Comparison between Aligned and Misaligned Bearings under Dynamic Loading in both Quasi-static and Dynamic Misalignment,” 17th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology 19 26 1990
- Garnier, T. “Three-dimensional EHD Behavior of the Engine Block/Crankshaft Assembly for a Four Cylinder Inline Automotive Engine,” Journal of Tribology(Transaction of the ASME) 121 4 721 730 1999
- Lahmar, M. “Comparison of the Dynamic Behaviour of Two Misaligned Crankshaft Bearings,” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers 214 D8 991 997 2000
- Lahmar, M. “The Effect of Misalignment on Performance Characteristics of Engine Main Crankshaft Bearings,” European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids 21 703 714 2002
- Li, Z. G. Yi, Z. C. “Study on Continuous Beam Method of Calculating Elastic Main Bearing Load of Crankshaft, Part 1,” Automobile Technology(Chinese) 19 4 2 11 1983
- Li, Z. G. Yi, Z. C. “Study on Continuous Beam Method of Calculating Elastic Main Bearing Load of Crankshaft, Part 2,” Automobile Technology(Chinese) 19 5 8 14 1983
- Guha, S. K. “Analysis of Steady-state Characteristics of Misaligned Hydrodynamic Journal Bearings with Isotropic Roughness Effect,” Tribology International 33 1 1 12 2000
- Sun, J. Gui, C. L. “Hydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis of Journal Bearing Considering Misalignment Caused by Shaft Deformation,” Tribology International 37 10 841 848 2004
- Sun, J. “Coupling Research on Tribology, Stiffness and Strength of Crankshaft-bearing System,” Ph. D. thesis Hefei University of Technology Hefei, Anhui, China 2005