This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advancements in Hardware-in-the-Loop Technology in Support of Complex Integration Testing of Embedded System Software
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive technology is rapidly changing with electrification of vehicles, driver assistance systems, advanced safety systems etc. This advancement in technology is making the task of validation and verification of embedded software complex and challenging. In addition to the component testing, integration testing imposes even tougher requirements for software testing. To meet these challenges dSPACE is continuously evolving the Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) technology to provide a systematic way to manage this task.
The paper presents developments in the HIL hardware technology with latest quad-core processors, FPGA based I/O technology and communication bus systems such as Flexray. Also presented are developments of the software components such as advanced user interfaces, GPS information integration, real-time testing and simulation models.
This paper provides a real-world example of implication of integration testing on HIL environment for Chassis Controls. This application involves the integration of several ECUs such as powertrain, chassis and body electronics. It highlights the integration of plant models required for closed loop, running at different rates. The impact of serial communication on integration testing will also be discussed.
The paper concludes with how the HIL technology development is a continuous task that evolves in lock-step mode with the technical advancements of the automotive industry.
CitationHimmler, A., Waeltermann, P., and Khoee-Fard, M., "Advancements in Hardware-in-the-Loop Technology in Support of Complex Integration Testing of Embedded System Software," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0443, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0443.
- Lahdhiri, T. Khoee-Fard, M. “GMLAN Real Time (GMLAN-RT) Simulation on dSPACE HIL Systems,” 2007 GM CAE Conference USA 2007
- Himmler, A. “Modular, Scalable Hardware-in-the-loop Systems,” ATZelektronik worldwide 5 2 36 39 2010
- Ziehr, L. Pascal, J. Wiedemeier, M. “Control Validation Project at GM for Hybrid Vehicle Air Conditioning,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1446 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1446
- Schulze, T. Wiedemeier, M. Schutte, H. “Crank Angle-Based Engine Modeling for Hardware-in-the-Loop Applications with In-Cylinder Pressure Sensors,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1303 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1303
- Schutte, H. Waltermann, P. “Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Vehicle Dynamics Controllers - A Technical Survey,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1660 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1660
- Wältermann, P. Schütte, H. Diekstall, K. “Hardware-in-the-Loop Testing of Distributed Electronic Systems” ATZ worldwide 05 2004 http://www.dspace.de/ftp/papers/dSPACE_ATZ_0405_e_f39.pdf
- Wältermann, P. “Hardware-in-the-Loop: The Technology for Testing Electronic Controls in Automotive Engineering” 6th Paderborn Workshop “Designing Mechatronic Systems” Paderborn, Germany 2009 http://www.dspace.de/shared/data/pdf/paper/HIL_Overview_Waeltermann_03_E.pdf
- Khoee-Fard, M. Lahdhiri, T. “Challenges in Real Time Control Simulation (Hardware-in-the-Loop) in Active Safety for Subsystem Level Software Verification,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0450 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0450