This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effective BSFC and NOx Reduction on Super Clean Diesel of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine by High Boosting and High EGR Rate
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reduction of exhaust emissions and BSFC was studied for high pressure, wide range, and high EGR rates in a Super-clean Diesel six-cylinder heavy duty engine. The GVW 25-ton vehicle has 10.52 L engine displacement, with maximum power of 300 kW and maximum torque of 1842 Nm. The engine is equipped with high-pressure fuel injection of a 200 MPa level common-rail system. A variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) was newly designed. The maximum pressure ratio of the compressor is about twice that of the previous design: 2.5. Additionally, wide range and a high EGR rate are achieved by high pressure-loop EGR (HP-EGR) and low pressure-loop EGR (LP-EGR) with described VGT and high-pressure fuel injection. The HP-EGR can reduce NOx concentrations in the exhaust pipe, but the high EGR rate worsens smoke.
The HP-EGR system layout has an important shortcoming: it has great differences of the intake EGR gas amount into each cylinder, worsens smoke. The system layout can eliminate large differences of intake EGR gas amounts into each cylinder. The improved HP-EGR system layout achieves a wide range and high EGR more than the previous system. For engine speed of 1200 rpm and 40% load (BMEP0.83 MPa), the combined EGR of HP-EGR and LP-EGR can increase about twice EGR rate compared with the case of HP-EGR only and improve NOx to around half without BSFC deterioration. This system was evaluated practically to improve exhaust emissions in both steady-state and transient test conditions. Finally, the super-clean diesel engine is used with this system and checked experimentally using the JE05 transient test mode to meet the target performance.
- Masayuki Kobayashi - New Ace Inst. Co., Ltd.
- Yuzo Aoyagi - New Ace Inst. Co., Ltd.
- Takayuki Adachi - New Ace Inst. Co., Ltd.
- Tetsuya Murayama - New Ace Inst. Co., Ltd.
- Munemasa Hashimoto - New Ace Inst. Co., Ltd.
- Yuichi Goto - National Traffic Safety & Enviro Lab
- Hisakazu Suzuki - National Traffic Safety & Enviro Lab
CitationKobayashi, M., Aoyagi, Y., Adachi, T., Murayama, T. et al., "Effective BSFC and NOx Reduction on Super Clean Diesel of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine by High Boosting and High EGR Rate," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0369, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0369.
- Suzuki, T. Sato, A. Suenaga, K. “Development of a Higher Boost Turbocharged Diesel Engine for Better Fuel Economy in Heavy Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 830379 1983 10.4271/830379
- Sato, A. Suenaga, K. Noda, M. Maeda, Y. “Advanced Boost-up in Hino EP100-II Turbocharged and Charge-Cooled Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 870298 1987 10.4271/870298
- Endo, S. Otani, T. Kakinai, A. “An improvement Of Pumping Loss Of High Boosted Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 885102 1988 10.4271/885102
- Tsujita, M. Niino, S. Ishizuka, T. Kakinai, A. et al. “Advanced Fuel Economy in Hino New P11C Turbocharged and Charge-Cooled Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 930272 1993 10.4271/930272
- Uchida, N. Daisho, Y. Saito, T. Sugano, H. “Combined Effects of EGR and Supercharging on Diesel Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 930601 1993 10.4271/930601
- Shimazaki, N. Hatanaka, H. Yokota, K. Nakahira, T. “A Study of Diesel Combustion Process Under the Condition of EGR and High-Pressure Fuel Injection with Gas Sampling Method,” SAE Technical Paper 960030 1996 10.4271/960030
- Stover, T. Reichenbach, D. Lifferth, E. “The Cummins Signature 600 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 981035 1998 10.4271/981035
- Knecht, W. European Emission Legislation of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines and Strategies for Compliance Proceedings of the Thermo-and fluid dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines (THIESEL 2000) 289 302 2000
- Itoh, S. Nakamura, K. Reduction of Diesel Exhaust Gas Emission with Common Rail System (in Japanese with English summary) Journal of JSAE 55 9 46 52 2001
- Minato, A. Tanaka, T. Nishimura, T. “Investigation of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Ultra High Pressure Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0914 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0914
- Alriksson, M. Denbratt, I. “Low Temperature Combustion in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Using High Levels of EGR,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0075 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0075
- Shimo, D. Kataoka, M. Sagane, Y. Fujimoto, H. Terazawa, Y. EM Reduction by a Large Amount of EGR and Excessive Cooled Intake Gas in Diesel Engines FISITA2006 No. F2006P372(2006)
- Ogawa, H. Li, T. Miyamoto, N. Kido, S. et al. “Dependence of Ultra-High EGR and Low Temperature Diesel Combustion on Fuel Injection Conditions and Compression Ratio,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3386 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3386
- Wakisaka, Y. Hotta, Y. Inayoshi, M. Nakakita, K. et al. “Emissions Reduction Potential of Extremely High Boost and High EGR Rate for an HSDI Diesel Engine and the Reduction Mechanisms of Exhaust Emissions,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 611 623 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1189
- Japan Ministry of Environment About New Automotive Emission Standards in Future (8th Report) (in Japanese) 2005
- Aoyagi, Y. Super Clean Diesel Engine Proceedings of IWEFV 2004 199 208 2004
- Aoyagi, Y. Osada, H. Misawa, M. Goto, Y. et al. “Advanced Diesel Combustion Using of Wide Range, High Boosted and Cooled EGR System by Single Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0077 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0077
- Kohketsu, S. Mori, K. Sakai, K. Hakozaki, T. “EGR Technologies for a Turbocharged and Intercooled Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970340 1997 10.4271/970340
- Langridge, S. Fessler, H. “Strategies for High EGR Rates in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0961 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0961
- Krüger, U. Edwards, S. Pantow, E. Lutz, R. et al. “High Performance Cooling and EGR Systems as a Contribution to Meeting Future Emission Standards,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 756 769 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1199
- Jun, J. Song, S. Chun, K. Lee, K. “Comparison of NOx Level and BSFC for HPL EGR and LPL EGR System of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3451 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3451