This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Advanced Zone-Coated Three-Way Catalysts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years the regulations governing emissions from automobiles have been strengthened as awareness of global environmental problems has increased. Furthermore, the amount of precious metals being used has continued to decrease due to concerns over the exhaustion of natural resources and worries about the risk of fluctuations in the price of these precious metals. As a result, a high performance three-way catalyst that can satisfy the emissions regulations is now required.
By applying zone-coating and carrier degradation control technology, a high performance three-way catalyst has been developed. The zone-coating technology improves the conversion performance of the catalyst through improvement of HC and NOx conversion reactions and oxygen storage capacity (OSC) reactions. The addition of an Nd surface-enriched layer strengthened the mutual interactions between the carrier and Rh. Moreover, the introduction of an alumina diffusion barrier suppresses ZrO₂ sintering which in turn suppresses Rh grain growth. The new three-way catalyst has adopted these technologies and substantially less Rh is needed compared to conventional catalysts. In addition, this new catalyst is scheduled to be adopted into vehicles starting 2011.
CitationAoki, Y., Sakagami, S., Kawai, M., Takahashi, N. et al., "Development of Advanced Zone-Coated Three-Way Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0296, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0296.
- Yoshida, T. Sato, A. Suzuki, H. Tanabe, T. et al. “Development of High Performance Three-Way-Catalyst,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1061 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1061
- Aoki, Y. Yoshida, T. Tanabe, T. Hatanaka, M. et al. “Development of Double-Layered Three-Way Catalysts,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1081 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1081
- Fujiwara, T. Takagi, N. Ichinose, H. Yoshioka, M. et al. “Development of High Performance Three-Way-Catalyst Technology to Lower NOx Emission,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1398 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1398
- Dong, F. Suda, A. Tanabe, T. Nagai, Y. Sobukawa, H. Shinjoh, H. Sugiura, M. Descorme, C. Duprez, D. “Dynamic Oxygen Mobility and a New Insight into the Role of Zr Atoms in Three-Way Catalysts of Pt/CeO 2 -ZrO 2 ,” Catalysis Today 93-95 827 832 2004 10.1016/j.cattod.2004.06.076
- Nagai, Y. Yamamoto, T. Tanaka, T. Yoshida, S. Nonaka, T. Okamoto, T. Suda, A. Sugiura, Mn “X-ray Adsorption Fine Structure Analysis of Local Structure of CeO 2 -ZrO 2 Mixed Oxides with the Same Composition Ratio (Ce/Zr=1),” Catalysis Today 74 225 234 2002 10.1016/S0920-5861(02)00025-1
- Kanazawa, T. Suzuki, J Takada, T. Suzuki, T. et al. “Development of Three-Way Catalyst Using Composite Alumina-Ceria-Zirconia,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0811 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0811
- Sugiura, M. Ozawa, M. Suda, A. Suzuki, T. Kanazawa, T. “Development of Innovative Three-Way Catalysts Containing Ceria-Zirconia Solid Solutions with High Oxygen Storage/Release Capacity,” Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 78 752 767 2005 10.1246/bcsj.78.752
- Morikawa, A. Suzuki, T. Kanazawa, T. Kikuta, K. Suda, A. Shinjo, H. “A new concept in high performance ceria-zirconia oxygen storage capacity material with Al 2 O 3 as a diffusion barrier,” Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 78 210 221 2008 10.1016/j.apcatb.2007.09.013
- Morikawa, A. Kikuta, K. Suda, A. Shinjo, H. “Enhancement of oxygen storage capacity by reductive treatment of Al 2 O 3 and CeO 2 -ZrO 2 solid solution nanocomposite,” Appl. Catal. B: Environ. 88 542 549 2009 10.1016/j.apcatb.2008.10.019