This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heavy Truck Engine Retarders: Testing and Theory
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This technical paper presents the results of full scale vehicle testing completed to examine deceleration on late model tractor semitrailer vehicles equipped with original equipment manufacturers (OEM) engine brakes. Testing consisted of measuring vehicle deceleration through a test section with the engine brake function both active and inactive. Also, rolling resistance measurements were taken to aid in the subject research project and also augment the body of available heavy truck deceleration data. Additionally, a comparison of the measured deceleration data to calculated values based on OEM supplied engine brake performance curves was completed. Results of the testing and research project indicate that theoretically calculated engine brake deceleration can be added to vehicle drive train resistance to arrive at an estimate of total vehicle deceleration. It is important, however, that a reasonable and realistic basis for rolling resistance and drive train resistance be established, as reliance on some currently published values could lead to over estimating deceleration.
CitationChristoffersen, S., Wallingford, J., and Greenlees, B., "Heavy Truck Engine Retarders: Testing and Theory," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0280, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0280.
- Fancher, Paul S. Bunch, H. M. Sayers, M. Winkler, C. B. “Retarders for heavy vehicles: evaluation of performance characteristics and in-service costs. Volume I: technical report. Final report (Phase I): Deep Blue at the University of Michigan.” Handle Proxy 30 Sept. 2010 http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/393
- Fancher, Paul S. O'Day, J. Winkler, C. B. “Retarders for heavy vehicles: Phase II field evaluations. Final report: Deep Blue at the University of Michigan.” Handle Proxy 30 Sept. 2010 http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/350
- Fancher, Paul S. Winkler, C. B. “Retarders for heavy vehicles: Phase III experimentation and analysis; performance, brake savings, and vehicle stability. Final report: Deep Blue at the University of Michigan.” Handle Proxy 30 Sept. 2010 http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/214
- Fricke, Lynn B. Traffic Accident Reconstruction (The Traffic Accident Investigation Manual 2 Evanston Northwestern University Press 1990
- Warner, C.Y. Smith, G.C. James, M.B. Germane, G.J. “Friction Applications in Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 830612 1983 10.4271/830612