This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Kenaf-Based Natural Fiber Composites in the Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an effort to present more ‘green’ material for massive manufacturing that are both competitive in their properties and can be more environmental friendly, natural fibers are being considered for possible applications in the automotive industry. This paper shows an exploratory study of the effects of pressure and layup on a hybrid composite of randomly oriented woven kenaf fibers and fiberglass/polyester sheet molding compound (SMC). In addition to initial testing performed on their water absorption and other important properties, these hybrid composites were tested to determine the bending modulus of elasticity (MOE) and the bending modulus of rupture (MOR).
CitationQatu, M., "Application of Kenaf-Based Natural Fiber Composites in the Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0215, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0215.
- Qatu, M.S. Vibration of Laminated Shells and Plates 406 Elsevier 2004
- Qatu, M.S. Sullivan, R.W. Wang, W. Recent Research Advances in the Dynamic Behavior of Composite Shells: 2000-2009 Composite Structures 93 14 31 2010
- Qatu, M.S. Abdelhamid, M.K. Pang, J. G. Sheng ‘Overview of Automotive Noise and Vibration,’ Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 5 1/2 1 35 2009
- Qatu, M.S. Iqbal, J. ‘Transverse Vibration of a Two-Segment Cross-ply Composite Shafts with a lumped mass,’ Composite Structures 92 1126 1131 2010
- Iqbal, J. J Qatu, M.S. Transverse Vibration of a Three-Piece Shaft System Joined with Multiple Hinges Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 6 1 73 89 2010
- Shi, S. Q. Lee, S. Shi, J. Lamination Process for Chemical Retted Kenaf Fiber/Thermoplastic Polymer Composites
- Lee, S. Shi, S.Q. Groom, L.H. Xue, Y. Properties of Unidirectional Kenaf Fiber-Polyolefin Laminates Polymer Composites 2009
- Xue, Y. Du, Y. Elder, S. Wang, K. Zhang, J. Temperature and Loading Rate Effects on Tensile Properties of Kenaf Bast Fiber Bundles and Composites Composites B 40 189 196 2009
- Akil, H.M. De Rosa, I.M. Santulli, C. Sarasini, F. Flexural behaviour of pultruded jute/glass and kenaf/glass hybrid composites monitored using acoustic emission Materials Science and Engineering A 527 2942 2950 2010
- Lai, W.L. Mariatti, M. Jani, M. The properties of woven kenaf and betal palm (Areca catechu) reinforced unsaturated polyester composites Polymer Plastic technology and Engineering 47 1193 1199 2008