This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Approach to Evaluate the Aerodynamic Performance of Vehicle Exterior Surfaces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper outlines a process to assess the aerodynamic performance of different vehicle exterior surfaces. The initial section of the paper summarizes the details of white-light scanning process that maps entire vehicle to points in Cartesian co-ordinate system which is followed by the conversion of scanned points to theme surface. The concept of point-cloud modeling is employed to generate a smooth theme surface from scanned points. Theme surfaces thus developed are stitched to under-body/under-hood (UB/UH) parts of the base vehicle and the numerical simulations were carried out to understand the aerodynamic efficiency of the surfaces generated. Specifics of surface/volume mesh generated, boundary conditions imposed and numerical scheme employed are discussed in detail. Flow field over vehicle exterior is thoroughly analyzed. A comparison study highlighting the effect of front grilles in unblocked condition along with air-dam on flow field has been provided. Advantages and limitations of the entire process are also mentioned.
CitationRamakrishnan, V., Soundararaju, D., Karbon, K., and Jha, P., "A Numerical Approach to Evaluate the Aerodynamic Performance of Vehicle Exterior Surfaces," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0180, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0180.
- Hucho, W.-H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0029-0 1998
- Hucho, W.H. Janssen, L.J. Emmelmann, H.J. “The Optimization of Body Details - A Method for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 760185 1976 10.4271/760185
- Buchheim, R. Deutenbach, K.-R. Lückoff, H.-J. “Necessity and Premises for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Future Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 810185 1981 10.4271/810185
- Fanger-Vexler, S. Katz, J. Foux, A. “Full-Scale, On-Road Study of the Effect of Automobile Shape on its Aerodynamic Characteristics, and Comparison with Small-Scale Wind Tunnel Results,” SAE Technical Paper 850287 1985 10.4271/850287
- Schenkel, F.K. “The Origin of Drag and Lift Reductions on Automobiles with Front and Rear Spoilers,” SAE Technical Paper 770389 1977 10.4271/770389
- Katz, J. Garcia, D. “Aerodynamic Effects of Indy Car Components,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3311 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3311
- Sebben, S. “Numerical Simulations of a Car Underbody: Effect of Front Wheel Deflectors,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1307 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1307
- Huminic, A. Huminic, G. “Computational Study of Flow in the Underbody Diffuser of a Simplified Car Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0119 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0119
- Othmer, C. Ravier, Ph. Pierrot, G. “Adjoint methods for automotive CFD optimization” PUCA 2005 Tokoyo 2005