This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automation of Vehicle Aerodynamic Shape Exploration and Optimization using Integrated Mesh Morphing and CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thorough design exploration is essential for improving vehicle performance in various aspects such as aerodynamic drag. Shape optimization algorithms in combination with computational tools such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) play an important role in design exploration. The present work describes a Free-Form Deformation (FFD) approach implemented within a general purpose CFD code for parameterization and modification of the aerodynamic shape of real-life vehicle models. Various vehicle shape parameters are constructed and utilized to change the shape of a vehicle using a mesh morphing technique based on the FFD algorithm. Based on input and output parameters, a design of experiments (DOE) matrix is created. CFD simulations are run and a response surface is constructed to study the sensitivity of the output parameter (aerodynamic drag) to variations in each input parameter. The DOE is coupled with an optimizer to achieve a combination of input parameters that yields the least drag. The entire process is setup in a single framework and runs automatically.
CitationKhondge, A., Sovani, S., and Verma, G., "Automation of Vehicle Aerodynamic Shape Exploration and Optimization using Integrated Mesh Morphing and CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0170, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0170.
- Hucho, W.-H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” 4 th SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0029-0 1998
- Weise, T. “Global optimization algorithms - Theory and Applications,” 2 nd http://www.it-weise.de/ 2009
- Moos, O. Klimetzek, F.R. Rossmann, R. “Bionic Optimization of Air-Guiding Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1377 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1377
- Campos, F. Geremia, P. Skaperdas, E. “Automatic Optimization of Automotive Designs Using Mesh Morphing and CFD,” 3rd European Automotive CFD Conference 93 104 2007
- Kolda, T. G. Lewis, R. M. Torczon, V. “Optimization by Direct Search: New Perspectives on Some Classical and Modern Methods,” SIAM Review 45 3 385 482 2003
- ANSYS FLUENT 13.0 Adjoint Solver User's Guide ANSYS Inc. 2010
- Zhu, X Gleason, M. Sbeih, K. “A CFD Application of Surface Morphing for Vehicle Exterior Development,” SAE Technical Paper, 2007-01-0110 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0110
- Joshi, D.S. Zhu, X. Sing, K. “Parametric Shape Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper, 2008-01-1431 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1431
- ANSYS FLUENT 13.0 User's Guide ANSYS Inc. 2010
- ANSYS WorkBench Release 13.0 User's Guide ANSYS Inc. 2010
- Lokhande, B. Sovani, S. Khalighi, B. “Transient Simulation of the Flow Field Around a Generic Pickup Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1313 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1313
- Khondge, A.D. Sovani, S.D. Lokhande, B.S. Jain, S.K. et al. “Simulation of the Flow-Field Around a Generic Tractor-Trailer Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1147 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1147
- Yang, Z. Khalighi, B. “CFD Simulations for Flow Over Pickup Trucks,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0547 2005 10.427/2005-01-0547
- Makowski, F.T. Kim, S.-E. “Advances in External-Aero Simulation of Ground Vehicles Using the Steady RANS Equations,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0484 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0484