This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi-Objective Design Optimization for an Integrated Tractor Trailer Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The need of upfront modeling, simulation and design optimization has been ever increasing during full vehicle product development process. The overall vehicle system and component subsystem performances remain critical considerations for making final product release decision. With these challenges in mind, the work of this paper discusses the development of feasible CAE methods, tools, and processes for multi-objective design optimization. A full integrated tractor trailer truck vehicle is used as an example to demonstrate this capability. The proposed approach allows several design objectives to be simultaneously optimized, which might otherwise be extremely difficult to achieve with experimental methods. Detailed optimization studies combining Design of Experiments (DOE), Response Surface Methodology (RSM) approach and Non-dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm II (NSGA II) optimization method are presented to further improve bumper design with better aerodynamics while maintaining or improving better cooling airflow performances.
CitationKhandare, M., Pan, F., and Schoon, R., "Multi-Objective Design Optimization for an Integrated Tractor Trailer Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0066, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0066.
- ANSA version 13.0.2 User's guide
- ANSA version 13.0.2 Scripting guide
- modeFRONTIER version 42.0 User's guide
- Ansys Fluent version R12.0 User's guide
- Ansys Tgrid version 5.0 User's guide
- Nemec, M., Aftosmis, M., “Adjoint Algorithm for CAD-based Shape Optimization Using a Cartesian Method,” NAS Technical Report NAS-05-014, 2005.
- Campos, F., Geremia, P., Skaperdas, E., “Automatic Optimisation of Automotive Designs Using Mesh Morphing and CFD,” presented at EACC European Automotive CFD Conference, Frankfurt, July 5, 2007.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S., and Meyarivan, T., “A Fast and Elitist Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm-NSGA-II,” KanGAL Report Number 2000001, 2000.
- Srinivas, N. and Deb, K., “Multiobjective Optimization Using Nondominated Sorting in Genetic Algorithms,” Journal of Evolutionary Computation, 2(3): 221-248, 1994.
- Thevenin, D., Janiga, G., “Optimization and Computational Fluid Dynamics,” First Edition, Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 978-3-540-72152-9, 2008.