This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Rear On-Glass Antennas for FM Radio Reception
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We propose an on-glass antenna with vertical lines for FM radio reception in a commercial sedan. The proposed antenna consists of vertical lines and multiple horizontal lines that are also used as defroster lines. The proposed antenna structure is optimized with the GA algorithm in conjunction with the FEKO EM simulator. The optimized antenna was built and installed on an Azera test vehicle (Korean model: TG Grandure 270) from Hyndai-Kia Motors and antenna performances such as reflection coefficients, and bore-sight gain are measured in an anechoic chamber. The optimized antenna shows a half power matching bandwidth of 26 % at the center frequency of the FM radio band and an average bore-sight gain of about −10.37 dBi. Then, we take a field test to measure actual received power of FM radio signals. The field test result shows the antenna's minimum received power level of about −80 dBm. The overall measured data show that the optimized antenna can be used as a FM antenna for vehicles.
CitationNoh, Y., Byun, G., and Ahn, S., "Design of Rear On-Glass Antennas for FM Radio Reception," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0048, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0048.
- Noh, Y. Kim, Y. Ling, H. “Broadband on-glass antenna with mesh-grid structure for automobiles,” Electron. Lett. 41 1148 1149 Oct. 2005
- Batchelor, J. C. Langley, R. J. Endo, H. “On-glass mobile antenna performance modeling,” IEE Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microwave Antennas Propag. 148 4 233 238 Aug. 2001
- Kang, W. Choo, H. “Design of vertical lines for vehicle rear window antennas,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 52 6 1445 1449 June 2010
- Horn, J. Nafpliotis, N. Goldberg, D. E. “A niched Pareto genetic algorithm for multi objective optimization,” IEEE Conf. on Evolutionary Computation. 1 82 87 June 1994
- Goldberg, D. E. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Ma- chine Learning Reading, MA Addison-Wesley 1989
- Ahn, S. Park, S. Noh, Y. Park, D. Choo, H. “Design of an on-glass vehicle antenna using a multiloop structure,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 52 1 107 110 Jan. 2010