This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Virtual Design Optimization of Thermoplastic Steering Wheel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive steering wheels, which play an important role as a human machine interface, are evolving over time with numerous integrations and innovations. Thermoplastic steering wheel, one of the innovations in recent times, offers significant reduction in mass along with part integration and styling flexibility and is an excellent replacement to traditional metal armature steering wheels.
Typical steering wheels need to meet many performance requirements before they enter production. With the advancement of computational mechanics and increase in computational capabilities, it has become much easier to evaluate and optimize steering wheel performance in different ways. Instead of manufacturing and running prototype tests, steering wheel designs can be modeled and optimized virtually in various scenarios using standard finite element analysis technique, thus facilitating faster development cycle.
This paper focuses upon the design, analysis and optimization of a single piece thermoplastic steering wheel. Effect of different armature cross sections are studied in detail with respect to different performance requirements. An optimal design is derived for single piece thermoplastic steering wheel.
|Technical Paper||Suspension Calibration via Segmented Method|
|Market Research Report||Supplying Volkswagen Group|
|Technical Paper||Performance Evaluation of PU Over-molded Thermoplastic Steering Wheel|
CitationNayak, S., Garg, A., Kumar, S., Krishnamoorthy, N. et al., "Virtual Design Optimization of Thermoplastic Steering Wheel," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0023, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0023.
- Yang, Z. Raman, S. V. Ma, D. “Virtual Tests for Facilitating Steering Wheel Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1072 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1072
- Garg, A. Jaarda, E. “Lenkrad aus thermoplastischem Kunststoff” MTZ / ATZ Journal 68 2007
- Garg, A. Surisetty, G. Chaturvedi, M. Jaarda, E. “High Performance Thermoplastic Steering Wheel” SIAT Technical Paper 287 2009
- Wieczorek, T. Trappe, A. Meyers, A. Goyette, J. Lanning, V. Chaturvedi, M. “An Efficient Solution for Hard or Soft Seamless Airbag Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1223 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1223
- Nayak, S. Garg, A. Chaturvedi, M. Wieczorek, T Mark, M. “Performance Evaluation of PU Over-molded Thermoplastic Steering Wheel,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0916 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0916