This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving the Accuracy of Hybrid III-50 th Percentile Male FE Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Accurate prediction of the responses from the anthropomorphic test devices (ATDs) in vehicle crash tests is critical to achieving better vehicle occupant performances. In recent years, automakers have used finite element (FE) models of the ATDs in computer simulations to obtain early assessments of occupant safety, and to aid in the development of occupant restraint systems.
However, vehicle crash test results have variation, sometimes significant. This presents a challenge to assessing the accuracy of the ATD FE models, let alone improving them. To resolve this issue, it is important to understand the test variation and carefully select the target data for model improvement.
This paper presents the work carried out by General Motors and Humanetics Innovative Solutions (formerly FTSS) in a joint project, aimed at improving the FE model of the Hybrid III-50 ATD (HIII-50) v5.1. Numerous component and sled tests were conducted, major sources of variation were identified, and the FE model of the Hybrid III 50 th percentile was improved in the new version v7.0.
CitationDing, X., Cheng, Y., Lian, W., Zhu, F. et al., "Improving the Accuracy of Hybrid III-50th Percentile Male FE Model," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0018, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0018.
- “Consumer Information; New Car Assessment Program” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Department of Transportation (DOT) July 11 2008
- Moss, S. Huang, Y. Keer, T. Shah, B. “Development of an Advanced Finite Element Model Database of the Hybrid III Crash Test Dummy Family,” SAE Technical Paper 971042 1997 10.4271/971042
- SAE International Engineering Aid “User's Manual for the 50 th Percentile Male Hybrid III Test Dummy,” EA-23 April 2005
- “H350 Dyna v5.1 FE Dummy Model Technical Report” FTSS December 2006 FE.Support@ftss.com
- “H350 Dyna v7.0 FE Dummy Model Technical Report” FTSS December 2008 FE.Support@ftss.com
- “H350 Dyna v7.0 FE Dummy Model Users Manual” FTSS December 2008 FE.Support@ftss.com