This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Iterative Approach Based on Prony's Method to Calculate the Surface Impedance of Acoustic Materials Measured in situ
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2010 by SAE International in United States
In many cases the in situ measurement of the absorption coefficient requires an iterative method for the correct calculation of the surface impedance of a sample. This happens because when spherical waves reflect on a sample's surface the pressure field above it is a function of the sample's surface impedance. As the pressure field involves an integral term, numerical integration is required in the iterative algorithm, which can be time consuming. The aim of this paper is to present an iterative approach based on Pony's method, which instead of numerical integration uses a series expansion with a few terms. Therefore the time of processing is decreased. Besides the description of the method, simulations and measurements (with a p-u probe inside an office room and a car) are presented. A comparison, with numerical integration, regarding the accuracy and the time of processing of Pony's method is also discussed.
CitationBrandao, E. and Lenzi, A., "An Iterative Approach Based on Prony's Method to Calculate the Surface Impedance of Acoustic Materials Measured in situ," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0504, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0504.
- Rudnick, I. “The Propagation of an Acoustic Wave Along an Absorbing Boundary,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 18 2 348 356 1946
- Ingard, U. “On the reflection of a spherical sound wave from an infinite plane,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 23 3 329 335 1951
- Lawhead, R.B. Rudnick, I. “Acoustic wave propagation along a constant normal impedance boundary,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 23 5 546 549 1951
- Nobile, M.A. Hayek, S.I. “Acoustic propagation over an impedance plane,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 78 4 1325 1336 1985
- Di, X. Gilbert, K.E. “An exact Laplace transform formulation for a point source above a ground surface,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 93 2 714 720 1993
- Yuan, Sarkar T.K. Salazar-Palma, M. “A direct discrete complex image method from the closed-form Green's functions in multilayered media,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 54 3 1025 1032 2006
- Chow, Y.L. Yang, J.J. Fang, D. G. Howard, G.E. “A closed-form spatial Green's function for the thick microstripsubstrate,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 39 3 588 592 1991
- Li, Y.L. White, M.J. “Near-field computation for sound propagation above ground using complex image theory,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 99 2 755 760 1996
- Hamming, R.W. Hamming, R.W. Numerical methods for scientists and engineers 2nd New York, USA Dover Publications 1986
- Alvarez, J. D. Jacobsen, F. “An Iterative Method for Determining the Surface Impedance of,” Internoise Shanghai - China 2008
- Brandão, E. Fulco, E. R. Lenzi, A. “Estimative of the errors caused by the sample size effect on the in situ measurement of the absorption coefficient,” Noise-Con Baltimore - USA 2010
- Hirosawa, K. et al. “Comparison of three measurement techniques for the normal absorption coefficient of sound absorbing materials in the free field,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126 6 3020 3027 2009
- Chandler-Wilde, S.N. Hothersall, D.C. “Sound propagation above an inhomogeneous impedance plane,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 98 4 475 91 1985
- J.F. Atalla Allard, N. Propagation of sound in porous media: modeling sound absorbing materials 2nd Wiley 2009
- Tijs, E. de Bree, H.-E. Brandão Carneiro, E. “In Situ PU Surface Impedance Measurements for Quality Control at the End of an Assembly Line,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2142 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2142