This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heating System for Ethanol and Intake Air - Numerical Model and Experimental Validation at Cold Start in a Flex Fuel Vehicle with Emissions Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increasing number of flex fuel vehicles using pure or mainly ethanol when mixed with gasoline led to a necessity of an auxiliary cold start system. These systems are based on introducing gasoline during the engine's cold phase. The researches lead to find an alternative to avoid using gasoline at cold start systems. This works presents a numerical analysis of the flow and heat transfer in a cold start system, using computational fluid dynamics. A prototypal vehicle was used to validate the simulations. The tests were done at controlled ambient temperatures: 0°C for cold start measurements and 25°C at chassis dynamometer to run the FTP75 emission cycle. The numerical data were validated and the results showed the possibility to get a temperature high enough to assure fuel combustion with emissions benefits.
- Luis Carlos Monteiro Sales - FPT- Fiat Powertrain Technologies
- Robinson Ferrari Barbosa - FPT- Fiat Powertrain Technologies
- Frederico Mesquita Vilela Oliveira - FPT- Fiat Powertrain Technologies
- Zozimo Valdivino da Silva - FPT- Fiat Powertrain Technologies
- Jose Ricardo Sodre - Pontificia Universidade Catolica de Minas Gerais
CitationSales, L., Barbosa, R., Oliveira, F., da Silva, Z. et al., "Heating System for Ethanol and Intake Air - Numerical Model and Experimental Validation at Cold Start in a Flex Fuel Vehicle with Emissions Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0412, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0412.
- Balat, M. Balat, H. 2009 “Recent trends in global production and utilization of bio-ethanol fuel” Applied Energy 86 2009 2273 2282
- Sales, L.C.M. Sodre, J.R. “Optimized Cold Start Auxiliary System for Emissions Reduction in Ethanol-Fuelled Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2690 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2690
- Sales, L.C.M. Sodré, J.R. 2003 “Reducing Exhaust Emissions in Ethanol-Engines During Cold Start Combustion Science and Technology, USA v 8 1535 1550
- Brunocilla, M.F. Lepsch, F. “Influence of Hot Fuel Injection on Air/Fuel Mixture Preparation and Effects on Flex Fuel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2619 2006 10.4271/2006-01-2619
- Short, J.C. Joseph, Y. Cavotta, M. “Thermal Modeling for Heated Tip Injectors,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1264 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1264
- Kabasin, D. Kazour, J. Fedor, B. Geiger, S. et al. “Emission Reduction with Heated Injectors,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 982 995 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1265
- Sales, L.C.M. Barbosa, R.F. de Andrade Martins, L. Huebner, R. et al. “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of a Cold Start System Used in Flex Fuel Engines with Heating of Intake Air and Ethanol,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0300 2009 10.4271/2009-36-0300
- Turner, J.W.G. Pearson, R.J. Holland, B. Peck, R. “Alcohol-Based Fuels in High Performance Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0056 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0056
- Mužíková, Z. at al. 2009 “Volatility and phase stability of petrol blends with ethanol” J. Fuel 2009 02 003 1351 1356
- Owen, K. Coley, T. 1995 “Automotive Fuels Reference Book” Second SAE, Inc.
- Tani, Y. Mori, Y. Mochizuki, K. “Multiple-hole Nozzle Atomization for SI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0564 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0564
- Sales, L.C.M. Huebner, R. Maia, C.B. Sodre, J.R. “Distribution of the Fuel Flow in a Cold Start System Using an Electronic Fuel Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2706 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2706
- Jehlik, F. Jones, M. Shepherd, P. Norbeck, J.M. et al. “Development of a Low-Emission, Dedicated Ethanol-Fuel Vehicle with Cold-Start Distillation System,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0611 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0611
- Nan, Z. et al. 2004 “Investigation on Thermodynamic Proprieties of Ethanol + Gasoline Blended Fuel” American Chemical Society, Energy Fuel 2004 18 84 89
- Buchdid, D. et al 2006 “Proposta de Sistema Alternativo de Partida a Frio de Veículos Bi-Combustíveis” SAE 2006-01-2574 , Technical Paper
- Ilinca, F. Pelletier, D. Garon, A. 1997 An adaptive finite element method for a two-equation turbulence model in wall-bounded flows International Journal Numerical Methods in Fluids 24 101 120
- Launder, B. E. Sharma, B. I. 1974 “Application of the Energy Dissipation Model of Turbulence to the Calculation of Flow Near a Spinning Disc” Letters in Heat and Mass Transfer 1 131 138
- Launder, B.E. Spalding, D.B. 1974 “The numerical computation of turbulent flows” Computer Methods in Appplied Mechanics and Enginnering 3 269 289