This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Project of a Load Cell for a Dynamometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Laboratory of Automotive Prototypes of ULBRA has developed researches to construct small automotive cars of high efficiency. The principal aim is to develop and apply new technologies that allow increasing the efficiency of electric and gas engine cars. Those cars received the denomination of Camels. This work presents the results of the study and development of a dynamometer employed in the measurement of torque produced by a small brushless DC motor. That motor was applied to drive a small electric car designed and constructed at ULBRA. Due to difficulties in finding a load cell to measure loads smaller than 20 N, a ring-type load cell was constructed to measure static force in uniaxial direction, range from 0 to 20 N. The load cell had strain gages connected to a data acquisition system. The acquisition system was connected to PC via USB. The measurement system consisted of an analog digital converter (A/D), model MyPCLab, produced by NOVUS. The PC computer was employed to process and to storage the data produced during the measurements.
The calibration of the measurement system was made by comparing the force generated by standard weights. The ratio between generated data and trend line was R2 = 0.998. That proved the quality of the load cell. The uncertainty was 0.012 N. The load cell constructed in this study had sensitivity, repeatability, and uncertainty suited to be used in the range of work specified in the design (0 to 20 N).
Citationda Luz, D., Gertz, L., Cervieri, A., Rodrigues, A. et al., "Project of a Load Cell for a Dynamometer," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0285, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0285.
- CALLISTER, W. Materials Science And Engineering: An Introduction Salt Lake City, Utah LTC 2002 5
- MALERBA, P. GUARNIERI, F. BARROS, J. Through the application of Extensometry of Strain Gage: Developing a System with Load Cell Data Acquisition Computer Vale do Paraiba Paraíba VIII EPG 2008
- SPINARDI, M. CARRARA, V. Projeto Otimizado de Células de Carga Extensométricas São Paulo São Paulo PUC 2006
- OMEGA ENGINEERING, INC. The Strain Gage http://www.omega.com/literature/transactions/volume3/strain.html 08 mar 2009
- EXTENSOMETRIA http://www.geocities.com/locksmithone/academic/academic-files/extensometria.html 08 mar 2009
- COUTO, J. Projeto de Conclusão Porto Alegre ESCOLA TÉCNICA SANTO INÁCIO 2005
- PALMA, E. Metrologia Minas Gerais PUC 2006
- YOUNG, H. FREEDMAN, R. Física I - Mecânica Califórnia Santa Bárbara PEARSON 2005 10
- URQUIZA, M. Developing a Platform for Multiaxial Force Biomedical Instrumentation Minas Gerais Uberlândia UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DE UBERLÂNDIA 2005
- GERTZ, L. Development Platform for Force for Computer Keyboard Rio Grande do Sul Porto Alegre UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO RIO GRANDE DO SUL 2002
- GROEHS, A. Resistence of Materials and Pressure Vessel dos Materiais e Vasos de Pressão São Leopoldo, Rio Grande do Sul UNISINOS 2006
- MSA Measurement Systems Analysis São Paulo São Paulo 2004 3