This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Introduction of Virtual Spray Vessel (VSV) simulation approach to improve the optimization level of mass-produced 3 rd generation fuel injectors for SFS-Flex fuel systems.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The success obtained by use of Virtual Engine Modeling (VEM) in the design and development areas of fuel injectors generated a lot of interest from production and quality engineers to dispose of a similar tool related to spray vessel measurements.
To respond to stringent PL6/EURO5 requirements it was decided to develop a Virtual Spray Vessel (VSV) tool capable of predicting spray patters and perform droplet diameter analysis comparable to Phase Doppler Analysis (PDA) results.
The paper describes the analogies between VEM and VSV modeling, the specific new numerical approaches to obtain spatial spray data comparable to conventional mechanical measurement techniques and to perform droplet diameter analysis comparable to PDA data. The paper concludes with a series of comparisons of simulated and experimental data.
CitationPontoppidan, M. and Montanari, G., "Introduction of Virtual Spray Vessel (VSV) simulation approach to improve the optimization level of mass-produced 3rd generation fuel injectors for SFS-Flex fuel systems.," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0137, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0137.
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J Butler, C.D. “KIVA II A Computer Program for Chemical Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J Butler, C.D. “KIVA III: A KIVA Program with Block Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Dantec Dynamics A/S “BSA Flow Software Manual - Installation and User's Guide.” 2006
- O'Rourke, P. Bracco, F. “Modelling of drop interactions in thick sprays and a comparison with experiments.” Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers 9 101 106 1980
- Pontoppidan, M. Bella, G. Rocco, V. “Mixture formation in SI-Engine intake Systems - A simplified theoretical Model with Experimental Verification.” ASME 1996 Spring Congress
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Rocco, V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper 970628 1997 10.4271/970628
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Rocco, V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout,” SAE Technical Paper 980494 1998 10.4271/980494
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Rocco, V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0532 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0532
- Pontoppidan, M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualisation Techniques to decrease the Optimisation Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimisation.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan, M. Ausiello, F. Bella, G. Demaio, A. “Study of the Impact of Variations in the Diesel-Nozzle Geometry Parameters on the Layout of Multiple Injection Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0217 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0217
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Demaio, A. “Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0540 10.4271/2003-01-0540
- Pontoppidan, M. Gaviani, G. Bella, G. Demaio, A. “Optimization by CFD Simulation of Spray Formation Parameters to Adapt Direct Injection High-Pressure Fuel Injectors to High-Speed SI-Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0539 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0539
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. Damasceno, F. “Mixture Preparation Optimization by CFD of a Flex-Vehicle (Gasoline/Ethanol) Intake System Layout,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3313 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3313
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. Damasceno, F. Bucci, A. Ewald, P. “Description of preliminary Study for Technology Transfer of an Ethanol Mixture Preparation System from Automotive Application to a 4-Cylinder 5.9 liter Aircraft Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2878 2006 10.4271/2006-01-2878
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Montanari, G. “Presentation of the new third Generation “Green” injector Family, PICO-ECOlogical, developed for further Improvement of Flex-fuel Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2749 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2749
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. Damesceno, F. “Analysis of the Physical Boundary Conditions for the Layout of an Optimized Ethanol Low-Temperature Mixture Preparation Device,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0618 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0618
- Pontoppidan, M. Montanari, G. ”New developments of the 3 rd generation SFS-Flex system to meet PL5/6 emission requirements,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0159 2009 10.4271/2009-36-0159