This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Model Investigation on the Pressure Transducer Dynamics for Measurements in Lubricating Vane Pumps: Influence of Dissolved Air and of Transducer/Tubing Geometry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variable-displacement lubricating pumps are an attractive solution for reducing fuel consumption and emissions in motorcycle engines. In this prospective, modeling and experimental analysis are very useful means for a deeper understanding of pump operation and for effectively implementing pump control.
Zero-dimensional simulation results of a 7-vane pump were compared with the experimental data of dynamic piezo-resistive pressure transducers fitted into the casing of a pump prototype, which was operated under steady-state conditions at different rotational speeds and eccentricity values.
The experimental data exhibit oscillations which were explained by taking into account the pressure transducers dynamics, as a result of the transducer location in the pump casing, of the air dissolved in the hydraulic fluid and of the geometry of the tubing/transducer system. The investigation shows that the transducer dynamics deteriorate as the diameter or length of the connections increase and as the dissolved air quantity increases.
CitationBarbarelli, S., Bova, S., and Piccione, R., "A Model Investigation on the Pressure Transducer Dynamics for Measurements in Lubricating Vane Pumps: Influence of Dissolved Air and of Transducer/Tubing Geometry," SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0059, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0059.
- Mochizuki, T., “Development of the Variable Displacement Vane Pump for the Automotive Power Steering System,” SAE Technical Paper 930261, 1993, doi:10.4271/930261.
- Nishiumi, T., Konami, S., Maeda, T.: “Jumping Phenomenon of the Dual Vane in a Variable Displacement Vane Pump”, 5th Triennial International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization, Hayama, Japan, 1-4 September 1997.
- van der Sluis, F., “A New Pump for CVT Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3207, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3207.
- Nishiyama, H., Murota, K., Hirotsu, S., Amano, K. et al., “Vane Pump for New Generation CVT,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1456, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1456.
- Barbarelli, S., Bova, S., and Piccione, R., “Zero-dimensional Model and Pressure Data Analysis of a Variable-Displacement Lubricating Vane Pump,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1859, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1859.
- Bianchini, A., Ferrara, G., Ferrari, L., Paltrinieri, F. et al., “Design and Optimization of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication Part 1 - Experimental Analysis of the Circumferential Pressure Distribution with Dynamic Pressure Sensors,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1045, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1045.
- Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M., and Armenio, G., “Displacement vs Flow Control in IC Engines Lubricating Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1602, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1602.
- Fabiani, M., Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M. et al., “Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0626, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0626.
- Mancò, S., Nervegna, N., Rundo, M., and Armenio, G., “Modelling and Simulation of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1601, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1601.
- Doebelin, E. O., Measurement System. Application and Design, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 1990.
- Irwin, H. P. A. H., Cooper, K. R., Girard, R., “Correction of Distortion Effects Caused by Tubing Systems in Measurements of Fluctuating Pressures”, Journal of Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.5, 1979, pp. 93-107.
- Yesilata, B., Öztekin, A., Neti, S., Kazakia, J., “Pressure Measurements in Highly Viscous and Elastic Fluids”, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol.122, 2000, pp.626-633.
- HPE (HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING s.r.l) Modena, Italy, http://www.hpe.eu/
- O.M.P. (OFFICINE MAZZOCCO PAGNONI S.r.l.) - Funo, BO, Italy, http://www.omppumps.com.