This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Possibilities and Limits of 1D CFD Simulation Methodology for the Layout of 2-Stroke GDI Combustion System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development process of 2-stroke engines is characterized by limited CFD investigations in combination with long-term development phases on the test bench with high prototype costs. To reduce the costs and to realize shorter development time together with a higher prediction quality of the engine potential, a higher implementation level of 1D and 3D simulation tools into the development process is necessary.
This publication outlines the 1D simulation methods in the layout phase of GDI combustion processes of 2-stroke engine categories. By means of conceptual investigations, the demands, the potential and the limits of 1D CFD simulation methodology are defined. Using a comparison between 1D and 3D or 1D/3D coupled simulation methods the limits of solely 1D simulation are shown. For advanced simulation tasks with a higher demand for prediction quality, the entire engine is simulated in 1D, whereas special parts of the engine design are simulated in a 3D model.
The limits of the pure 1D simulation can be shifted by the use of additional information from experimental and 3D simulation methods leading to parameter sets for the 1D simulation. With the rebuild of a state of the art 2-stroke engine the prediction quality is exemplarily shown and therewith the application of this method is demonstrated. By the use of test bench results of this engine type, the quality of the 1D simulation strategy is verified.
- Oliver Schoegl - Graz University of Technology
- Stephan Schmidt - Graz University of Technology
- Martin Abart - Graz University of Technology
- Christian Zinner - Graz University of Technology
- Roland Kirchberger - Graz University of Technology
- Mathias Fitl - BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG
- Karl Glinsner - BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG
- Stefan Leiber - BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG
CitationSchoegl, O., Schmidt, S., Abart, M., Zinner, C. et al., "Possibilities and Limits of 1D CFD Simulation Methodology for the Layout of 2-Stroke GDI Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0017, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0017.
- Schögl, O. Schmidt, S. Abart, M. Kirchberger, R. et al. “Early Stage Development of a 4-stroke Gas Exchange Process by the Use of a Coupled 1D / 3D Simulation Strategy,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0101 2009 10.4271/2009-32-0101
- Thermodynamik der Verbrennungskraftmaschine - Der Fahrzeugantrieb Pischinger, R. Klell, M. Sams, T. Springer Verlag 2002
- Schmidt, S. Schoegl, O. Rothbauer, R.J. Eichlseder, H. et al. “An Integrated 3D CFD Simulation Methodology for the Optimization of the Mixture Preparation of 2-Stroke Dl Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0029 2007 10.4271/2007-32-0029
- Blair, G.P. “Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-1-56091-685-7 1996
- Nuti, M. “Emissions from Two-Stroke Engines,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 0-7680-0215-X 1998
- Theory; AVL Boost Version 2009 1 AVL List GmbH 2009