This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Air-Fuel Mixture Preparation in a Single Cylinder SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Engine operation at low temperatures is of considerable interest from the standpoint of exhaust gas emissions and fuel economy. A semi-empirical film model is developed to study the transient cold starting process. Variation of air-to-fuel ratio reaching the cylinder during the starting is estimated. Film-model uses some inputs from the CFD simulation and essentially avoids the multiple cycle CFD simulation.
CFD simulation was carried out with unsteady boundary condition obtained from the experiment. The experiments were conducted at different temperatures inside cold chamber. Air-to-fuel ratio variations were recorded after starting which is used for qualitative comparison with the film model. The model is able to capture the qualitative trends observed in the experiment.
|Viscosity and friction
|Fuel and Engine Lubricant Requirements for the Concord
|Some Effects of Crankcase Lubricant Viscosity on Engine Operation
CitationThiruvallur Loganathan, B., Bakshi PhD, S., and Dinesh, G., "Study of Air-Fuel Mixture Preparation in a Single Cylinder SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0002, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1
- Servati, H.B. Yuen, W.W. “Deposition of Fuel Droplets in Horizontal Intake Manifolds and the Behavior of Fuel Film on Its Walls,” SAE Technical Paper 840239 1984
- Brown, C.N. Landommatos, N. ‘Numerical study of fuel evaporation and transportation in intake manifold of PFI engine’ Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs 1991 205(D) 161 175
- Schurov, S.M. Collings, N. “A Numerical Simulation of Intake Port Phenomena in a Spark Ignition Engine Under Cold Starting Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 941874 1994
- Li, J. Collings, N. “A Semi-Empirical Model of Fuel Transport in Intake Manifolds of SI Engines and Its Application in Transient Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1314 1999
- Arios, D.A. ‘Numerical and Experimental study of air and fuel flow in small engine carburetors’ University of Wisconsin-Madison 2005