This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ford SYNC and Microsoft Windows Embedded Automotive Make Digital Lifestyle a Reality on the Road
ISSN: 1946-4614, e-ISSN: 1946-4622
Published October 19, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Event: SAE Convergence 2010
Citation: Ghangurde, M., "Ford SYNC and Microsoft Windows Embedded Automotive Make Digital Lifestyle a Reality on the Road," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 3(2):99-105, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2319.
With Ford SYNC, Microsoft Corporation and Ford Motor Company have democratized in-vehicle infotainment systems - delighting consumers and bringing a new kind of agility to the automobile industry.
Built on Microsoft Auto (now Windows Embedded Automotive), Ford SYNC is a factory-installed, voice-controlled communications and entertainment system that allows drivers to converge their digital lifestyle with their life on the road. Windows Embedded Automotive is an industry leading technology platform that provides integrated infotainment features and a rich user interface. Car manufacturers and suppliers worldwide can use this software to create differentiated, infotainment in-vehicle systems that are immediately attractive to consumers.
This white paper will examine:
- Past approaches to in-car infotainment system development;
- The evolution of the Windows Embedded Automotive platform as Microsoft addressed market readiness and other business/technical issues through collaboration with the automotive industry;
- How Ford and Microsoft had a common vision, validated it with research, and worked in partnership to bring the vision to market, giving consumers the ability to combine their digital lifestyle with their life on the road;
- How the auto manufacturer democratized in-car systems by delivering it first on the most affordable car in Ford's line-up, the Focus sedan and coupe, to the increasing surprise and delight of its customers;
- The collaborative marketing campaign that leveraged Ford and Microsoft brand name recognition around the globe;
- Positive business results generated by Ford SYNC, including broad consumer satisfaction with the technology; and,
- The future of Ford SYNC and Windows Embedded Automotive technology.