This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovative Graduate Program in Mechatronics Engineering to Meet the Needs of the Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE Convergence 2010
A new inter-disciplinary degree program has been developed at Lawrence Technological University: the Master of Science in Mechatronic Systems Engineering Degree (MS/MSE). It is one of a few MS-programs in mechatronics in the U.S.A. today.
This inter-disciplinary program reflects the main areas of ground vehicle mechatronic systems and robotics. This paper presents areas of scientific and technological principles which the Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Math and Computer Science Departments bring to Mechatronic Systems Engineering and the new degree program. New foundations that make the basis for the program are discussed.
One of the biggest challenges was developing foundations for mechanical engineering in mechatronic systems design and teaching them to engineers who have different professional backgrounds. The authors first developed new approaches and principles to designing mechanical subsystems as components of mechatronic systems. Then, the developed principles and approaches were implemented in the MS/MSE program curriculum which consists of three course modules (eight core courses).
The MS/MSE program and a new Research Laboratory of Mechatronic Systems were developed with support and collaboration of industry. The paper discusses aspects of collaboration with the private companies and development of new educational approaches to learning commercial software/hardware for designing mechanical subsystems and making this process a part of the mechatronics laboratory development.
CitationVantsevich, V. and Rivin, E., "Innovative Graduate Program in Mechatronics Engineering to Meet the Needs of the Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2304, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2304.
- Ebert - Uphoff, I Gardner, JF Murray, WR Perez, R 2000 Preparing for the Next Century: The State of Mechatronics Education IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 5 2 226 227
- Brown, NJ Brown, OT 2002 Mechatronics “a graduate perspective Mechatronics 12 159 167
- Grimheden, M Hanson, M 2005 Mechatronics - the evolution of an academic discipline in engineering education Mechatronics 15 179 192
- Trumper, DL Ludwick, SJ 1999 Developments of 2.737 Mechatronics at MIT Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics Atlanta 446 451
- Graig, K 1999 Mechatronics at Rensselaer: A two-course senior-elective sequence in mechanical engineering Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics Atlanta 452 458
- Bergh, CF Kita, A Ume, IC 1999 Development of mechatronics course in the school of mechanical engineering in Georgia Tech Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics Atlanta 459 465
- Lima, M Gomes, MP Putnik, G Silva, S Monteiro, J Couto, C 2002 Mechatronics education at the University of Minho: a summary of the present; perspective for the future Mechatronics 12 295 302
- Akpinar, B 2006 “Mechatronics education in Turkey Mechatronics 16 185 192
- Hargrove, JB 2002 Curriculum, equipment and student project outcomes for mechatronics education in the core mechanical engineering program at Kettering University Mechatronics 12 343 356
- Shetty, D Kolk, RA 1997 Mechatronics systems design PWS Publishing Company
- Cetinkunt, S Mechatronics Wiley and Sons 615 2007
- Hegde, GS Mechatronics Jones and Bartlett Publishers 281 2008
- Rivin, EI 2001 Mechanical design of robots
- de Silva, CW 2005 Mechatronics, an integrated approach CRC Press
- Bishop, RH 2002 The mechatronics handbook CRC Press
- Vantsevich, VV 2004 Mathematical fundamentals for vehicle performance control Global Congress on Powertrains 60 63
- Vantsevich, VV 2006 All-Wheel Drive Mechatronic Systems, Principle of Wheel Power Management SAE Annual Congress Detroit
- Vantsevich, VV 2006 Inverse Wheel Dynamics, IMECE2006-13787, ASME Congress Chicago
- Rivin, EI 2007 Efficiency of Solid State Mechanical Elements with Rubber-Metal Bearings 12 th IFToMM Congress Besancon, France
- Andreev, AF Kabanau, VI Vantsevich, VV 2010 Driveline of Ground Vehicles: Theory and Design Vantsevich, V.V. Scientific and Engineering Editor Taylor and Francis Group/CRC Press 792
- Vantsevich, VV Chapter “Education in Mechatronics” Handbook Book “Mechatronics in Action” Springer 2010 Bradley, David University of Abertay Dundee and David Russell, Penn State University