This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gaseous and PM Emission from Combat Vehicle Engines during Start and Warm-Up
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the results of the investigations of an armored modular vehicle 8x8 Rosomak fitted with a diesel engine during start and warm-up. For the measurements of the toxic compounds a portable SEMTECH DS analyzer by SENSORS was used. The analyzer allowed a measurement of exhaust emission at the same time measuring the mass flow rate of the exhaust gases. The analysis of the PM emission was performed based on the measurement of the size of the particulate matter (analyzer 3090 EEPS - Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer™ Spectrometer - by TSI Incorporated) and counting of the particles (analyzer Particle Counter by AVL).
The measurements of CO, HC, NOx, PM and fuel consumption have also been carried out under static conditions, during startup and at constant engine speed without engine load. For the measurement of the engine operating conditions and the fuel consumption a diagnostic vehicle system was used. Based on the obtained results, an analysis of the operating conditions of the combat vehicle engine in the emission and fuel-economy-related aspect has been performed.
CitationPielecha, I., Pielecha, J., and Merkisz, J., "Gaseous and PM Emission from Combat Vehicle Engines during Start and Warm-Up," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2283, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2283.
- Merkisz, J. Pielecha, J. “Analysis of Particle Concentrations and Smoke in Common-Rail Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1743 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1743
- Shahinian, V.D. SENSORS tech-ct Update Application Software for SEMTECH Mobile Emission Analyzers Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference 2007
- Czerwinski, J. Pétermann, J.-L. Ulrich, A. Mueller, G. Wichser, A. Particle Emissions of a TDI-Engine with Different Lubrication Oils Combustion Engines 2 121 2005
- Czerwinski, J. Zimmerli, Y. Mayer, A. Experiences about Retrofitting of City Busses with DPF's Combustion Engines 1 124 2006
- Ensfield, C. Bachman, L.J. Erb, A. Bynum, C. “Evaluating Real-World Fuel Economy on Heavy Duty Vehicles using a Portable Emissions Measurement System,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3543 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3543
- Gao, Y. Checkel, M.D. “Emission Factors Analysis for Multiple Vehicles Using an On-Board, In-Use Emissions Measurement System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1327 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1327
- Rykowski, R.A. Nam, E.K. Hoffman, G. “On-road Testing and Characterization of Fuel Economy of Light-Duty Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0677 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0677
- Singer, W. Schindler, W. Linke, M. Particulate and Smoke Measurement on Euro 4 Engines Combustion Engines 1 124 2006
- Tinaut, F.V. Melgar, A. Briceño, Y. Horrillo, A. Performance of Vegetable Derived Fuels in Diesel Engine Vehicles Combustion Engines 2 121 2005
- AVL GmbH AVL Particle Counter www.avl.com December 2009
- TSI Incorporated Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer - 3090 www.tsi.com December 2009