This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of the Combustion Process of Commercial and Reference Fuels on the CFR Laboratory Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As in the standard American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) procedure which is used to evaluate the fuel Octane Number (ON), some signal properties are considered, while others are neglected, it happens that different pressure signals of the sensor, obtained from different fuels and operating conditions, can lead to the same Knock Intensity index (KI) value, even though the knock behavior is not the same.
Therefore the aim of this work was to analyze the standard signal processing chain of the Cooperative Fuel Research engine (CFR) (from the pressure sensor to the knock-meter display) and its effects on the value of the KI, for different fuels and operating conditions.
CitationMarzano, M. and Nuccio, P., "Experimental Analysis of the Combustion Process of Commercial and Reference Fuels on the CFR Laboratory Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2265, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2265.
- Swarts, A., Yates, A., Viljoen, C. and Coetzer, R., “Standard Knock Intensity Revisited: Atypical Burn Rate Characteristics Identified in the CFR Octane Rating Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1850, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1850.
- Hosseini, V., Checkel, M.D., “Using Reformer Gas to Enhance HCCI Combustion of CNG in a CFR Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3247, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3247
- Echavarria, F., Loth, J. and Morris, G., “Experiments on Compression Ignition by Air Injection (CIBAI) in a Modified Single-Cylinder, Four-Stroke, Spark Ignition, Cooperative Fuel Research (CFR) Engine: A Novel Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3357, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3357.
- Verhelst, S., Sierens, R., “Combustion Studies for PFI Hydrogen IC Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3610, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3610.
- Annual Book of American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) Standards, part. 47: Test Methods for Rating Motor, Diesel and Aviation Fuels, 1980
- Ferraro, C.V., Marzano, M., Nuccio, P., “Knock-Limit Measurement in High-Speed S.I. Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 850127, 1985, doi:10.4271/850127.