This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
About the Thermal Effect of Pre-knock Reactions in a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with LPG
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper study the case of a heavy-duty spark ignition engine fueled with LPG, for which it was demonstrated that the thermal effect of the pre-knock reactions in the end-gas occur in the presence of alkenes, one of the commercial LPG main component.
In this sense, the engine was operated at full load, with different spark advances generating different levels of knock, which was characterized in terms of angle and intensity.
It was developed a classical two zone thermodynamic combustion model for predicting the end-gas pressure and temperature levels, which are cycle-by-cycle variables. It was made the comparison between the cycles with knock and without and it was find that in the knocking cycles case the end-gas temperature is higher, this situation being attributed to the presence of alkenes in the fuel composition.
CitationRadu, B. and Fuiorescu, D., "About the Thermal Effect of Pre-knock Reactions in a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with LPG," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2264, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2264.
- Oppenheim, A.K. “The Knock Syndrome - Its Cures and Its Victims,” SAE Technical Paper 841339 1984 10.4271/841339
- König, G. Sheppard, C.G.W. “End-gas Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 902135 1990 10.4271/902135
- Company standard SF-4-PETROM-1999 “AUTO LPG Technical requirements and test methods” June 1999
- Heywood, J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw Hill Book Comp. New York 978-0070286375 1988
- Apostolescu, N. Chiriac, R. The combustion process in internal combustion engines (in Romanian) Ed. Tehnica Bucharest 973-31-1239-9 1998
- Bruggeman, D. Wies, B. Zhang, X.X. Heinze, T. Knoche, K.F. “CARS spectroscopy for temperature and concentration measurements in a spark ignition engine” Combusting flow diagnostics Durao, D.F.G. et al. 495 511 Kluwer Academic Publishers 978-0792315216 1992
- Nakada, T. Itoh, T. Takagi, Y. “Application of CARS to Development of High Compression Ratio Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 932644 1993 10.4271/932644
- Kalghatgi, G.T. Snowdon, P. McDonald, G.R. “Studies of Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine with “CARS” Temperature Measurements and Using Different Fuels” SAE Technical Paper 950690 1995 10.4271/950690