This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Role of Fuel Decomposition Products on Formation of Sequence IIIG Piston Deposits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Previous research to understand the mechanism for piston deposit formation in the Sequence IIIG engine test has focused on characterizing the piston deposits. These studies concluded that, in addition to lubricant derived materials, Sequence IIIG piston deposits contain a significant amount of fuel-derived carbonaceous material. The presence of fuel degradation by-products in Sequence IIIG deposits shows that blow-by is a significant contributor to deposit formation. However, blow-by can either assist in the degradation of the lubricant or can simply be a source for organic material which can be incorporated into the deposits. Therefore, a series of modified Sequence IIIG engine tests were conducted to better determine the effect of blow-by on deposit formation. In these studies deposit formation on different parts of the piston assembly were examined since different parts of the piston assembly are exposed to different amounts of blow-by. Furthermore, the rate of deposit formation in the Sequence IIIG engine test was examined to determine if the rate of lubricant degradation is related to the rate of deposit formation.
CitationDevlin, M., Dvorak, T., Sheets, R., Bell, I. et al., "Role of Fuel Decomposition Products on Formation of Sequence IIIG Piston Deposits," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2259, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2259.
- Clark, S. Olree, R. Lang, P. Leverett, C. Bowden, D. “Development of the Sequence IIIG Engine Oil Certification Test,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2987 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2987
- Smolenski, D. Bergin, S. “Development of the ASTM Sequence IIIE Engine Oil Oxidation and Wear Test,” SAE Technical Paper 881576 1988 10.4271/881576
- Lakatos, L. Jones, R. Roby, S. Sukys, D. “Modeling of ASTM Sequence IIIE Piston Ring Land Deposit Formation,” SAE Technical Paper 922293 1992 10.4271/922293
- Covitch, M.J. Gundic, D.T. Graf, R.T. “Microstructure of Carbonaceous Diesel Engine Piston Deposits” Lubrication Engineering 44 2 1987
- Papke, B.L. Dahlstrom, P.L. Kreuz, K.L. “Surface Characterization of Model Lubricant-Derived Diesel Engine Piston Deposits” Lubrication Engineering 45 9 1989
- McGeehan, J. Fontana, B. Kramer, J. “The Effects of Piston Temperature and Fuel Sulfur on Diesel Engine Piston Deposits,” SAE Technical Paper 821216 1982 10.4271/821216
- McGeehan, J. Fontana, B. “Effect of Soot on Piston Deposits and Crankcase Oils - Infrared Spectrometric Technique for Analyzing Soot,” SAE Technical Paper 801368 1980 10.4271/801368
- Kim, J-S. Min, B-S. Lee, D-S. Oh, D-Y. Choi, J-K. “The Characteristics of Carbon Deposit Formation in Piston Top Ring Groove of Gasoline and Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980526 1998 10.4271/980526
- Kreuz, K. L. “Gasoline Engine Chemistry as Applied to Lubricant Problems” Lubrication 55 6 53 1969
- Florkowski, D. Selby, T “The Development of a Thermo-Oxidation Engine Oil Simulations Test (TEOST)” SAE Technical Paper 932837 1993 10.4271/932837
- Selby, T. Richardson, J. Florkowski, D. “Engine Oil Deposits and the TEOST Protocol 33 and Beyond,” SAE Technical Paper 962039 1996 10.4271/962039
- Selby, T.W “The Development of the TEOST Protocol MHT Bench Test of Engine Oil Piston Deposit Tendency” Proceedings of the 12 th International Colloquium Tribology Technische Akademie Esslingen Ostfildern, Germany January 11-13 2000
- Stipanovic, A. Schoonmaker, J. de Paz, E. Mowlem, J. Broas, J. Jr. Thiel, C. “Base Oil and Additive Effects in the Thermo-oxidation Engine Oil Simulation Test (TEOST),” SAE Technical Paper 962038 1996 10.4271/962038
- Devlin, M. Baren, R. Sheets, R. McIntosh, K. Turner, T. Jao, T-C. “Characterization of Deposits Formed on Sequence IIIG Pistons,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3820 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3820
- Devlin, M. Dvorak, T. Guinther, G. Guevremont, J. Loper, J. Sheets, R. Jao, T-C. “Characterization of TEOST Deposits and Comparison to Deposits Formed on Sequence IIIG Pistons,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2663 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2663