This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Enriched Diesel Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Improving fuel economy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from vehicle sources have been major research themes in recent times. One of the ways to achieve this is to use alternative fuels that can fully or partly replace petroleum-derived fuels using existing internal combustion engine technology so that the benefit from the alternative fuels can be realized immediately without delay. The present work attempted to investigate the performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine using conventional diesel fuel with mixtures of hydrogen and oxygen generated from water at the point of use. Small amounts of hydrogen and oxygen were introduced in the air stream at the time of induction so that no extra injection system or additional modifications to the existing engine were required. The work identified that fuel consumption, engine-out CO₂ and CO could be reduced significantly by introducing small amounts of hydrogen and oxygen in the airstream of a conventional diesel engine. The in-cylinder combustion measurement showed no significant change in cylinder pressure characteristics to warrant design change. This work also identified optimum level of hydrogen for reducing engine out NOx levels. The experiments and the systematic approach followed to reduce the fuel consumption and CO₂ are presented in this paper.
CitationSamuel, S. and McCormick, G., "Hydrogen Enriched Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2190, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2190.
- Papagiannakis, R.G. Hountalas, D.T. Kotsiopoulos, P.N. “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Combustion and Pollutants Formation Mechanisms in Dual Fuel DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1726 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1726
- Devan, P.K. Mahalakshmi, N.V. “An Experimental investigation on Performance and Emission Characteristics of Eucalyptus Oil-Diesel Blends in a D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0757 2008 2008-01-0757
- Hountalas, D.T. Mavropoulos, G.C. Zannis, T.C. Mamalis, S.D. “Use of Water Emulsion and Intake Water Injection as NOx Reduction Techniques for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1414 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1414
- Bika, A.S. Franklin, L.M. Kittelson, D.B. “Emissions Effects of Hydrogen as a Supplemental Fuel with Diesel and Biodiesel,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 283 292 10.4271/2008-01-0648
- Shirk, Mathew G. McGuire, Thomas P. Neal, Gary L. Howarth, Daniel C. Investigation of a hydrogen-assisted combustion system for a light-duty diesel vehicle International journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 7237 7244 2008
- Lumsden, G. Watson, H.C. “HAJI Operation in a Hydrogen-Only Mode for Emission Control at Cold Start,” SAE Technical Paper 950412 1995 10.4271/950412
- Toulson, E. Watson, H.C. Attard, W.P. “The Effects of Hot and Cool EGR with Hydrogen Assisted Jet Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3627 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3627
- Verhelst, P. Maesschalck, N. Rombaut, R. Sierens, Efficiency comparison between hydrogen and gasoline on a bi-fuel hydrogen/gasoline engine International journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 2504 2510 2009
- Suzuki, T. Sakurai, Y. “Effect of Hydrogen Rich Gas and Gasoline Mixed Combustion on Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3379 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3379
- Pana, C. Negurescu, N. Popa, M. Cernat, A. et al. “An Investigation of the Hydrogen Addition Effects to Gasoline Fueled Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1468 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1468
- Apostolescu, N. Chiriac, R. “A Study of Combustion of Hydrogen-Enriched Gasoline in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 960603 1996 10.4271/960603
- Ji, Changwei Wang, Shuofeng Effect of hydrogen addition on combustion and emissions performance of a spark ignition gasoline engine at lean conditions International journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 7823 7834 2009
- Hoekstra, R.L. Blarigan, P. Mulligan, N. “NOx Emissions and Efficiency of Hydrogen, Natural Gas, and Hydrogen/Natural Gas Blended Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 961103 1996 10.4271/961103
- Ji, Changwei Wang, Shuofeng Combustion and emissions performance of a hybrid hydrogen-gasoline engine at idle and lean condition International journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 346 355 2010