This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Hydraulic Efficiency Using High-Shear Viscosity Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fossil fuel consumption is a significant factor in terms of both economic and environ-mental impact of on- and off-highway systems. Because fuel consumption can be directly tied to equipment efficiency, gains in efficiency can lead to reduction in operating costs as well as conservation of nonrenewable resources.
Fluid performance has a direct effect on the efficiency of a hydraulic system. A procedure has been developed for measuring a fluid's effect on the degree to which mechanical power is efficiently converted to hydraulic power in pumps typical of off-highway applications.
CitationKoehler, B. and Jackson, J., "Evaluation of Hydraulic Efficiency Using High-Shear Viscosity Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2178, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2178.
- Herrero, F., Schober, B., Filippini, B., Akucewich, E., Schiferl, E.; Efficiency Development on Hydraulic Fluids; STLE Presentation, Orlando, Florida, May, 2009.
- HBM Inc., Data sheet B2484-4.0 en for T40 torque flange, 1 kNm size.
- Patten, T. “The Micro Motion® ELITE® Promise”, Micro Motion White Paper WP-00842, 2005.
- “Micro Motion® ELITE® Coriolis Flow and Density Meters”, Emerson Process Management Product Data Sheet PS-00374, Rev. L (2009).
- Honeywell,, Model TJE, 008606-1-EN IL50 GLO data sheet, May 2008
- Filippini, B., Schober, B., Dimitrakis, B., Visger, D., Multigrade Hydraulic Fluids with Improved Properties via Novel Viscosity Modifiers; STLE Presentation, Philadelphia, May 2007.
- Sullivan, James A., Fluid Power theory and Applications, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989, pages 123 through 128. (equations adjusted for units)
- EATON Vane Pump and Motor Design Guide for Mobile Equipment, Revised 08/98, page 47.
- Coleman, H., Steele, W.,_Experimentation and Uncertainty Analysis for Engineers, John Wiley & Sons 1989.
- Unpublished results using proprietary method.