This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Project of a Multi-cylinder DISI Hydrogen ICE System for Heavy Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The planned development of a hydrogen ICE system for trucks is one of the technological candidates for air pollution reduction and global warming prevention for the large-sized (heavy-duty) trucks supporting Japanese freightage. This project is the first to develop a DISI multi-cylinder hydrogen ICE system aimed at combining high power output and low NOx generation.
The results of the first activities of the project are as follows: 1) High-pressure hydrogen gas direct injectors with a compact body size and control responsiveness that are suitable for the transient driving of the DISI multi-cylinder hydrogen engine were developed. 2) For limited driving conditions, a combustion control strategy of the DISI hydrogen ICE that balances low NOx emission with high power output was founded. 3) The performance of the DISI multi-cylinder hydrogen ICE system was evaluated, and the target output was obtained. 4) JE05 mode transient emission testing of the DISI multi-cylinder hydrogen ICE system with NSR catalyst and DOC was carried out; it showed emissions lower than those specified by the JAPAN 2009 emission regulations.
CitationKawamura, A., Sato, Y., Naganuma, K., Yamane, K. et al., "Development Project of a Multi-cylinder DISI Hydrogen ICE System for Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2175, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2175.
- Agency for Natural Resources and Energy (ANRE), Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) “Energy Balance Table FY2008 (Japanese)” http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/info/statistics/jukyu/result-2.htm
- Shirakura, Hiroyuki Shimizu, Yuki Iwasaki, Hideyuki Ito, Akemi “Study of Controlling Back-fire on a Premixed Hydrogen Fueled Engine (Japanese)” 20105409, Proceedings of 2010 JSAE Annual Congress Spring 23 28 May 2010
- Eichlseder, H. Wallner, T. Freymann, R. Ringler, J. “The Potential of Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines in a Future Mobility Scenario,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2267 2003 10.4271/2003-01-2267
- Kiesgen, G. Klueting, M. Bock, C. Fischer, H. “The New 12-Cylinder Hydrogen Engine in the 7 Series: The H2 ICE Age Has Begun,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0431 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0431
- Yamane, Kimitaka Oikawa, Masakuni Kitaura, Tomonori Mawatari, Kouta Kondo, Takashi Takagi, Yasuo Sato, Yoshio Goto, Yuichi “A Development of a High Pressure H2 Gas Injector with High Response by Using Common-Rail Injection System for Direct Injection H2 Fuelled Engines” WHEC (World Hydrogen Energy Conference) 16 Lyon June 2006
- Kawamura, A. Yanai, T. Sato, Y. Naganuma, K. et al. “Summary and Progress of the Hydrogen ICE Truck Development Project,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 1 110 117 10.4271/2009-01-1922
- Gerke, Udo “Numerical Analysis of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Hydrogen Direct-Injection Internal Combustion Engine” PhD Thesis Zurich 2007
- Knop, Vincent Benkenida, Adlene Jay, Stephane Colin, Olivier “Modeling of Combustion and Nitrogen Oxide Formation in Hydrogen-Fuelled Internal Combustion Engines within a 3D CFD Code” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 19 5083 5097 October 2008
- Mohammadi, Ali Shioji, Masahiro Nakai, Yasuyuki Ishikura, Wataru Tabo, Eizo “Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a Direct Injection SI Hydrogen Engine” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 2 296 304 February 2007
- Eichlseder, Helmut Grabner, Peter Gerbig, Falk Heller, Klaus “Advanced Combustion Concepts and Development Methods for Hydrogen IC Engines” F2008-06-103, Proceedings of FISITA 2008 Congress Munich September 2008
- Wallner, T. Nande, A.N. Naber, J. “Evaluation of Injector Location and Nozzle Design in a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Research Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1785 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1785
- Tanno, Shiro Ito, Yasushi Michikawauchi, Ryo Tomita, Hirokuni “High-efficiency and Low-NOx Hydrogen Combustion by High Pressure and Direct Injection (Japanese)” 20095697, Proceedings of 2009 JSAE Annual Congress Autumn 19 22 October 2009
- Wallner, T. Scarcelli, R. Nande, A.M. Naber, J.D. “Assessment of Multiple Injection Strategies in a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Research Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1920 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1920
- Steinrueck, Peter Ranegger, Gerhard “Timed Injection of Hydrogen for Fuel Cells and Internal Combustion Engines” Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines 164 177 September 2006
- Tsuchiya, T. Sato, Y. “Development of DME Engine for Heavy-duty Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0052 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0052
- Natkin, R.J. Tang, X. Whipple, K.M. Kabat, D.M. et al. “Ford Hydrogen Engine Laboratory Testing Facility,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0241 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0241
- Francfort, J. Karner, D. “Hydrogen ICE Vehicle Testing Activities,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0433 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0433
- Lohse-Busch, H. Wallner, T. Fleming, J. “Transient Efficiency, Performance, and Emissions Analysis of a Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine Pick-up Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3430 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3430
- Rousseau, A. Wallner, T. Pagerit, S. Busch, H. “Prospects on Fuel Economy Improvements for Hydrogen Powered Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2378 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2378
- Yano, Masaru Kuroda, Eiji Tagami, Hisao Kuroda, Keisuke Watanabe, Shogo “Development of fuel-consumption measurement method for fuel cell vehicles: flow method corresponding to pressure pulsation of hydrogen flow (Japanese)” JARI Research Journal 29 6 243 246 June 2007