This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Multi-hole Spray and Mixing of Ethanol and Gasoline Fuels under DI Engine Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Because of their robustness and cost performance, multi-hole gasoline injectors are being adopted as the direct injection (DI) fuel injector of choice as vehicle manufacturers look for ways to reduce fuel consumption without sacrificing power and emission performance. To realize the full benefits of direct injection, the resulting spray needs to be well targeted, atomized, and appropriately mixed with charge air for the desirable fuel vapor concentration distributions in the combustion chamber. Ethanol and ethanol-gasoline blends synergistically improve the turbo-charged DI gasoline performance, especially in down-sized, down-sped and variable-valve-train engine architecture. This paper presents the spray imaging results from two multi-hole DI gasoline injectors with different design, fueled with pure ethanol (E100) or gasoline (E0), under homogeneous and stratified-charge conditions that represent typical engine operating points. Both high-speed Schlieren and Mie scattering results are presented for tests in pressurized chamber and optical accessible engine. Multidimensional Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) model for predicting DI multi-hole ethanol spray behaviors in optical engine is also discussed. The effects of injection timing on the bulk flow motion and fuel-air mixing, in terms of tumble ratios, turbulence, and fuel wall film behaviors are also discussed.
- Wayne Moore - Delphi Energy & Engine Mgmt. Systems
- Atsushi Matsumoto - Wayne State Univ.
- Yi Zheng - Wayne State Univ.
- Xing-Bin Xie - Wayne State Univ.
- Ming-Chia Lai - Wayne State Univ.
- Atsushi Matsumoto - Wayne State Univ
- Yi Zheng - Wayne State Univ
- Xing-Bin Xie - Wayne State Univ
- Ming-Chia Lai - Wayne State Univ
CitationMatsumoto, A., Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Lai, M. et al., "Characterization of Multi-hole Spray and Mixing of Ethanol and Gasoline Fuels under DI Engine Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2151, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2151.
- Hung, D.L.S. Zhu, G.G. Winkelman, J.R. Stuecken, T. et al. “A High Speed Flow Visualization Study of Fuel Spray Pattern Effect on Mixture Formation in a Low Pressure Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1411 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1411
- Yamamoto, S. Tanaka, D. Sato, K. Yokoe, M. “Keys to Understanding Spray-guided Combustion of a Narrow-spacing Gasoline Direct Injection SI Engine with a Centrally Mounted Multi-hole Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1408 1419 2009
- Zhao, F. Lai, M.-C. Harrington, D.L. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 1999 25 437 562
- Marriott, C.D. Wiles, M.A. Gwidt, J.M. Parrish, S.E. “Development of a Naturally Aspirated Spark Ignition Direct-Injection Flex-Fuel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 267 295 2008
- Andersson, M. Wärnberg, J. Application of laser-induced fluorescence for imaging sprays of model fuels emulating gasoline and gasoline/ethanol blends ICLASS 2009, 11th Triennial International Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems 2009
- Taniguchi, S. Yoshida, K. Tsukasaki, Y. “Feasibility Study of Ethanol Applications to A Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2037 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2037
- Christie, M.J. Fortino, N. Yilmaz, H. “Parameter Optimization of a Turbo Charged Direct Injection Flex Fuel SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 123 133 2009
- Matsumoto, A. Moore, W. Lai, M-C. Zheng, Y. et al. “Spray Characterization of Ethanol Gasoline Blends and Comparison to a CFD Model for a Gasoline Direct Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 402 425 2010
- Zhao, F-Q. Yoo, J-H. Liu, Y. Lai, M-C. “ Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines ,” SAE Technical Paper 961925 1996 10.4271/961925
- Honda, T. Kawamoto, M. Katashiba, H. Sumida, M. et al. “A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray Guided DISI,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0046 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0046
- Mitroglou, N. Nouri, J. Yan, Y. Gavaises, M. et al. “ Spray Structure Generated by Multi-Hole Injectors for Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines ,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1417 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1417
- Skogsberg, M. Dahlander, P. Lindgren, R. Denbratt, I. “ Effects of Injector Parameters on Mixture Formation for Multi-Hole Nozzles in A Spray-Guided Gasoline DI Engine ,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0097 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0097
- Dahlander, P. Lindgren, R. “Multi-hole Injectors for DISI Engines: Nozzle Hole Configuration Influence on Spray Formation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 115 128 2008
- Gold, M. Li, G. Spasford, S. Stokes, J. “Application of Optical Techniques to the Study of Mixture Preparation in Direct Injection Gasoline Engines and Validation of a CFD Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0538 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0538
- Pickett, L.M. Kook, S. Williams, T.C. “Visualization of Diesel Spray Penetration, Cool-Flame, Ignition, High-Temperature Combustion, and Soot Formation Using High-Speed Imaging,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 439 459 2009
- Arnaud, E. et al. A Fluid Motion Estimator for Schlieren Image Velocimetry ECCV 2006, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2006 3951 198 210
- Pastor, J.V. Garcia, J.M. Zapata, L.D. “Evaporating Diesel Spray Visualization using a Double-pass Shadowgraphy/Schlieren Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0026 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0026
- Hori, T. Senda, J. Kuge, T. Fujimoto, H. “Large Eddy Simulation of Non-Evaporative and Evaporative Diesel Spray in Constant Volume Vessel by Use of KIVALES,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3334 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3334
- Yi, Y. DeMinco, C.M. “Numerical Investigation of Mixture Preparation in a GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3375 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3375
- Weber, J. Peters, N. Pawlowski, A. Kneer, R. et al. “ Diesel Spray Characterization Using a Micro-Genetic Algorithm and Optical Measurements ,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1115 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1115
- Joh, M. Huh, K. Yoo, j-H. Lai, M-C. “Numerical Prediction and Validation of Fuel Spray Behavior in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3668 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3668