This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Multi-hole Spray and Mixing of Ethanol and Gasoline Fuels under DI Engine Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Because of their robustness and cost performance, multi-hole gasoline injectors are being adopted as the direct injection (DI) fuel injector of choice as vehicle manufacturers look for ways to reduce fuel consumption without sacrificing power and emission performance. To realize the full benefits of direct injection, the resulting spray needs to be well targeted, atomized, and appropriately mixed with charge air for the desirable fuel vapor concentration distributions in the combustion chamber. Ethanol and ethanol-gasoline blends synergistically improve the turbo-charged DI gasoline performance, especially in down-sized, down-sped and variable-valve-train engine architecture. This paper presents the spray imaging results from two multi-hole DI gasoline injectors with different design, fueled with pure ethanol (E100) or gasoline (E0), under homogeneous and stratified-charge conditions that represent typical engine operating points. Both high-speed Schlieren and Mie scattering results are presented for tests in pressurized chamber and optical accessible engine. Multidimensional Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) model for predicting DI multi-hole ethanol spray behaviors in optical engine is also discussed. The effects of injection timing on the bulk flow motion and fuel-air mixing, in terms of tumble ratios, turbulence, and fuel wall film behaviors are also discussed.
CitationMatsumoto, A., Zheng, Y., Xie, X., Lai, M. et al., "Characterization of Multi-hole Spray and Mixing of Ethanol and Gasoline Fuels under DI Engine Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2151, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2151.
- Hung, D.L.S., Zhu, G.G., Winkelman, J.R., Stuecken, T., et al., “A High Speed Flow Visualization Study of Fuel Spray Pattern Effect on Mixture Formation in a Low Pressure Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1411, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1411.
- Yamamoto, S., Tanaka, D., Sato, K., Yokoe, M., “Keys to Understanding Spray-guided Combustion of a Narrow-spacing Gasoline Direct Injection SI Engine with a Centrally Mounted Multi-hole Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1): 1408-1419, 2009.
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.-C., and Harrington, D.L., Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 1999. 25: p. 437-562.
- Marriott, C.D., Wiles, M.A., Gwidt, J.M., Parrish, S.E., “Development of a Naturally Aspirated Spark Ignition Direct-Injection Flex-Fuel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):267-295, 2008.
- Andersson, M. and Wärnberg, J., Application of laser-induced fluorescence for imaging sprays of model fuels emulating gasoline and gasoline/ethanol blends. ICLASS 2009, 11th Triennial International Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, 2009.
- Taniguchi, S., Yoshida, K. and Tsukasaki, Y., “Feasibility Study of Ethanol Applications to A Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2037, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2037.
- Christie, M.J., Fortino, N. and Yilmaz, H., “Parameter Optimization of a Turbo Charged Direct Injection Flex Fuel SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):123-133, 2009.
- Matsumoto, A., Moore, W., Lai, M-C., Zheng, Y., et al., “Spray Characterization of Ethanol Gasoline Blends and Comparison to a CFD Model for a Gasoline Direct Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines, 1(1):402-425, 2010.
- Zhao, F-Q., Yoo, J-H., Liu, Y., Lai, M-C., “Spray Dynamics of High Pressure Fuel Injectors for DI Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 961925, 1996, doi:10.4271/961925.
- Honda, T., Kawamoto, M., Katashiba, H., Sumida, M., et al., “A Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion for Spray Guided DISI,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0046, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0046.
- Mitroglou, N., Nouri, J., Yan, Y., Gavaises, M., et al., “Spray Structure Generated by Multi-Hole Injectors for Gasoline Direct-Injection Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1417, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1417.
- Skogsberg, M., Dahlander, P., Lindgren, R., Denbratt, I., “Effects of Injector Parameters on Mixture Formation for Multi-Hole Nozzles in A Spray-Guided Gasoline DI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0097, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0097.
- Dahlander, P. and Lindgren, R., “Multi-hole Injectors for DISI Engines: Nozzle Hole Configuration Influence on Spray Formation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1): 115-128, 2008.
- Gold, M., Li, G., Spasford, S., Stokes, J., “Application of Optical Techniques to the Study of Mixture Preparation in Direct Injection Gasoline Engines and Validation of a CFD Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0538, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0538.
- Pickett, L.M., Kook, S. and Williams, T.C., “Visualization of Diesel Spray Penetration, Cool-Flame, Ignition, High-Temperature Combustion, and Soot Formation Using High-Speed Imaging,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):439-459, 2009.
- Arnaud, E., et al., A Fluid Motion Estimator for Schlieren Image Velocimetry. ECCV 2006, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2006. 3951: p. 198-210.
- Pastor, J.V., Garcia, J.M., Zapata, L.D., “Evaporating Diesel Spray Visualization using a Double-pass Shadowgraphy/Schlieren Imaging,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0026, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0026.
- Hori, T., Senda, J., Kuge, T., Fujimoto, H., “Large Eddy Simulation of Non-Evaporative and Evaporative Diesel Spray in Constant Volume Vessel by Use of KIVALES,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3334, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3334.
- Yi, Y. and DeMinco, C.M., “Numerical Investigation of Mixture Preparation in a GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3375, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3375.
- Weber, J., Peters, N., Pawlowski, A., Kneer, R., et al., “Diesel Spray Characterization Using a Micro-Genetic Algorithm and Optical Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1115, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1115.
- Joh, M., Huh, K., Yoo, j-H., Lai, M-C., “Numerical Prediction and Validation of Fuel Spray Behavior in a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3668, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3668.