This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Hydraulic Free Piston Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the experiments of hydraulic free piston diesel engine is described. The experimental data were obtained from measurement instruments on the free piston diesel engine that has been developed by Beijing Institute of Technology [ 1 ].
This article discusses the influences of compression pressure, injection timing, and combustion process to the free piston diesel engine principle. The compression process experiment shows that the piston velocity, the compression ratio can be controlled by adjusting the compression pressure. With the increasing of the compression pressure, there is a growing a compression ratio and piston velocity. The study on injection timing shows that the injection timing impacts the cylinder pressure peak value and the pressure peak arrival time. The combustion process is quite different from the crankshaft engine because of the unique piston movement characteristics of the hydraulic free piston engine.
The optimum ignition delay point of the hydraulic free piston diesel engine is 24mm before top dead center, the compression pressure is 18MPa. The analysis on the hydraulic free piston diesel engine experimental results showed the key impact factors of high frequency operation of the proposed diesel engine. It provides a basis for the next step to implement high frequency operation.
CitationZhenfeng, Z., Huang, Y., Zhang, F., Zhao, C. et al., "Experimental Study on Hydraulic Free Piston Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2149, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2149.
- Zhao, Z. Zhang, F. Zhao, C. Chen, Y. “Modeling and Simulation of a Hydraulic Free Piston Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1528 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1528
- Achten, P. van den Oever, J. Potma, J. Vael, G. “Horsepower with Brains: The Design of the Chiron Free Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2545 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2545
- Achten, P. “A Review of Free Piston Engine Concepts,” SAE Technical Paper 941776 1994 10.4271/941776
- Huayong, Yang Bizhong, Xia Hydraulic Free Piston Engine(HFPE)--Is it the Power Star in the Future [J] China Mechanical Engineering 2001 3 353 356
- Xianding, Zhu The Principles & Structure of Unusual Engines[M] Shanghai Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers 1998
- Zhenfeng, Zhao Ying, Huang Fujun, Zhang et al. Research on Characteristics of a New Electro-Hydraulic Driven Camless Valve Train[J] Chinese Internal Combustion Engine Engineering 2008 6 24 27
- Baruah, P. “A Free-Piston Engine Hydraulic Pump for an Automotive Propulsion System,” SAE Technical Paper 880658 1988 10.4271/880658
- Larmi, M. Isaksson, S. Tikkanen, S. Lammila, M. “Performance Simulation of a Compression Ignition Free Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0280 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0280
- Somhorst, J. Achten, P. “The Combustion Process in a DI Diesel Hydraulic Free Piston Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 960032 1996 10.4271/960032
- Glassey, S. Stockner, A. Flinn, M. “HEUI - A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 930270 1993 10.4271/930270