Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of a Container-Truck's Wind Deflector Using Approximate Model
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2035
Due to the energy crisis, one of the important challenges in the Auto industry is to reduce the fuel consumption of the vehicle. And the higher speed is, the more fuel consumption is taken by the aerodynamic drag. Mostly, the aerodynamic drag lies on the shape of the vehicle. Consequently, the improvement of the aerodynamics of vehicle shape, more precisely the reduction of their aerodynamic drag, becomes one of the main topics of the automotive researchers.
For a container-truck, the three dimensions of the container are standard and unchanged, and the shape of cab is almost fixed by the aesthetic sculpt. For those container-trucks, aerodynamic additional equipments can decrease the aerodynamic drag evidently, especially the wind deflector. Accordingly, this paper describes a method which combines CAD, CFD, Approximate model and optimization carried out on the aerodynamic shape of a container-truck's wind deflector. The main objective of this study is to minimize the drag coefficient of the container-truck running in the speed of 30m/s.
The Design Variables used for the research are height, length, radius and stretch for characterizing the shape of the wind deflector. To explore the design space and identify significant design variables, a 20-level DOE study was carried out using Design of Experiments. A Kriging model based on DOE database is created. For examining and certifying the fitting precision of the Kriging Model, another three design points which besides the 20 DOE design points are chosen to analyse the tolerance of results between the Kriging Model and the real simulations. Finally the Kriging Model is subsequently used for executing the optimization of aerodynamic shape by Multi-island Genetic Algorithm. To a large extent, it saves time compared to the real simulations. Compared to a container-truck without a wind deflector, the optimum design obtained is 9.73% decreased.
CitationGong, X., Gu, Z., Li, Z., Song, X. et al., "Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of a Container-Truck's Wind Deflector Using Approximate Model," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2035, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2035.
- Hucho, W.-H., “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” SAE International., Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-0029-0, 1998.
- Zheng-qi, G., “Vehicle Aerodynamics,” China Communications Press, China, ISBN 7-114-05642-7, 2005.
- Roy, S., Srinivasan, P., “External Flow Analysis of a Truck for Drag Reduction,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3500, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-3500.
- Cooper, K.R. and Leuschen, J., “Model and Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Second-Generation Aerodynamic Fuel Saving Devices for Tractor-Trailers,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3512, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3512.
- Kesseler, E. and Vankan, W.J., “Multidisciplinary Design Analysis and Multi-objective Optimization Applied to Aircraft Wing,” In WSEAS, Transactions on Systems and Control 1(2):221-227, 2006.
- Ramesh, P., Radha, K., Malik, K., Sachin, G., Ganesh, K., Nagesh, T., Tim, W., Raghu, Y., “Multi-Disciplinary Optimization of a Sport Utility Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-05AE-271, 2004.
- Pierret, S., “Multi-objective and Multi-Disciplinary Optimization of Three-dimensional Turbomachinery Blades,” 6th World Congresses of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 2005, Brazil, May 30 - June 03, 2005.
- Alison, L. M., Meng, W., Dennis, John E. JR., Parviz, M., “Optimal Aeroacoustic Shape Design Using the Surrogate Management Framework,” Optimization and Engineering 5: 235-262, 2004.
- Jari, P. H., Raino, A.E.M., Pasi, T., Jari, T., “Evolutionary Shape Optimization in CFD with Industrial Applications,” European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering 2000, Barcelona, September 11-14, 2000.
- Rajneesh, S. and Golsch, K., “A Downforce Optimization Study for a Racing Car Shape,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0545, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0545.
- Nestor, V. Q., Raphael, T. H., Wei, S., Tushar, G., Rajkumar, V., Tucker, P. Kevin., “Surrogate-based Analysis and Optimization,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 41:1-28, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.paerosci.2005.02.001.
- Jouhaud, J.-C., Sagaut, P., Montagnac, M., Laurenceau, J., “A Surrogate-Model Based Multidisciplinary Shape Optimization Method with Application to a 2D Subsonic Airfoil,” Computers & Fluids 36:520-529, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2006.04.001.
- Hong, C., Ryozo, O., Shinsuke, K., “Study on Optimum Design Method for Pleasant Outdoor Thermal Environment using Genetic Algorithms (GA) and Coupled Simulation of Convection, Radiation and Conduction,” Building and Environment 43:18-30, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2006.11.039.