This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a Line-Haul Class 8 Combination Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency instrumented and tested a line-haul Class 8 tractor trailer on a 4-wheel-drive heavy-duty chassis dynamometer. A vehicle model was then developed in the Powertrain Systems Analysis Toolkit (PSAT), Argonne National Laboratory's vehicle simulation tool, using the truck technical specifications and the recorded data, which included the Portable Emissions Measurement System (PEMS) and Controller Area Network (CAN) signals. In this paper, we describe the test scenarios and the analysis performed on the data. We then present the vehicle model and assumptions. Finally, we compare the test and simulation data, including fuel consumption and component signals, as well as the main challenges specific to heavy-duty vehicle testing and simulation.
CitationDelorme, A. and Karbowski, D., "Validation of a Line-Haul Class 8 Combination Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1998, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1998.
- Bachman, L. J. Erb, A. Bynum, C. L. Effect of Single Wide Tires and Trailer Aerodynamics on Fuel Economy and NO x Emissions of Class 8 Line-Haul Tractor-Trailers SAE paper 2005-01-3551 2005 http://www.epa.gov/smartway/transport/documents/tech/effects-on-fuel-economy.pdf July 19 2010
- Bachman, L. J. Erb, A. Bynum, C. L. Shoffner, B. De La Fuente, H. Ensfield, C. Fuel Economy Improvements and NO x Reduction by Reduction of Parasitic Losses: Effect of Engine Design SAE Paper 2006-01-3474 2006 http://www.epa.gov/smartway/transport/documents/tech/fuel-economy-improvements.pdf July 19 2010
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay Fuel Efficiency Test Protocol for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles - Working Draft EPA420-P-07-003 November 2007 http://www.epa.gov/smartway/transport/documents/tech/420p07003.pdf July 19 2010
- Argonne National Laboratory, PSAT (Powertrain Systems Analysis Toolkit) 2007 http://www.transportation.anl.gov/modeling_simulation/PSAT/index.html July 19 2010
- Rousseau, A. Kwon, J. Sharer, P. Pagerit, S. et al. “Integrating Data, Performing Quality Assurance and Validating the Vehicle Model for the 2004 Prius Using PSAT,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0667 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0667
- SAE International Surface Vehicle recommended Practice “Road Load Measurement and Dynamometer Simulation Using Coastdown Techniques,” SAE Standard J1263 Mar. 2010
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “Joint TMC/SAE Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II,” SAE Standard J1321 Oct. 1986
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Information Report “Constant Volume Sampler System for Exhaust Emissions Measurement,” SAE Standard J1094 Jun 1992
- Rousseau, A. Sharer, P. Pasquier, M. “Validation Process of a HEV System Analysis Model: PSAT,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0953 10.4271/2001-01-0953