This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Characterization and Modeling of Shim Stack Assemblies in Vehicle Shock Absorbers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A detailed study of the effects of shim stack assemblies on performance of hydraulic mono-tube vehicle shock absorbers is presented. Currently, shim stacks are modeled as blow-off valves in hydraulic models of shock absorbers. Using this simplification, important material and geometrical properties of shim stacks cannot be studied and their effects cannot be understood on overall damper performance. In this paper, shim stack deflection is investigated and a mathematical model is presented for shim stack deflection. This model is then incorporated into the mathematical model of a hydraulic damper and various properties of shim stack and their effects on damper characteristics are studied. Energy and variational methods were used to develop the mathematical model of the shim stack. The mathematical model also takes into account the sliding effects of the shims on each other when the shim stack is deflected. It is found that modeling shim stack as a single disk and ignoring the sliding effects will results in large amounts of error in overall damper model. Hence, the shims should be represented individually and sliding effects should be taken into account.
CitationFarjoud, A. and Ahmadian, M., "Performance Characterization and Modeling of Shim Stack Assemblies in Vehicle Shock Absorbers," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1904, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1904.
- Talbott, M.S. Starkey, J. “An Experimentally Validated Physical Model of a High-Performance Mono-Tube Damper,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3337 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3337
- van Kasteel, R. Wang, C.-G. Qian, L. Liu, J.-Z. Ye, G.-H. A new shock absorber model for use in vehicle dynamics studies Vehicle System Dynamics 2005 43 9 613 31
- Eyres, R.D. Champneys, A.R. Lieven, N.A.J. Modelling and dynamic response of a damper with relief valve Nonlinear Dynamics 2005 40 119 47
- Simms, A. Crolla, D. “The Influence of Damper Properties on Vehicle Dynamic Behaviour,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0319 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0319
- Duym, S.W.R. Simulation tools, modelling and identification, for an automotive shock absorber in the context of vehicle dynamics Vehicle System Dynamics 2000 33 261 85
- Lang, H.H. A study of the characteristics of automotive hydraulic dampers at high stroking frequencies, in Mechanical Engineering dept. 1977 University of Michigan Ann Arbor 231
- Reybrouck, K. “A Non Linear Parametric Model of an Automotive Shock Absorber,” SAE Technical Paper 940869 1994 10.4271/940869
- Kwangjin, L. Numerical modelling for the hydraulic performance prediction of automotive monotube dampers Vehicle System Dynamics 1997 28 25 39
- Herr, F. Mallin, T. Lane, J. Roth, S. Flow analysis and modeling of shock absorbers Proceedings of the 1998 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition November 15 1998 November 20 1998 1998 Anaheim, CA, USA ASME
- Duym, S.W. Stiens, R. Baron, G.V. Reybrouck, K.G. “Physical Modeling of the Hysteretic Behaviour of Automotive Shock Absorbers,” SAE Technical Paper 970101 1997 10.4271/970101
- Duym, S. An alternative force state map for shock absorbers Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of automobile engineering 1997 211 3 175 179
- Surace, C. Worden, K. Tomlinson, G.R. An Improved Nonlinear Model for an Automotive Shock Absorber Journal of nonlinear dynamics 1991 3 413 429
- Moon, B.Y. Lee, C.T. Simulation and experimental validation of vehicle dynamic characteristics for displacement-sensitive shock absorber using fluid-flow modelling Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2006 20 373 88
- Shames, I.H. Dym, C.L. Energy and finite element methods in structural mechanics 1985 Washington Hemisphere Pub. Corp.
- Essenburg, F. Gulati, S.T. On contact of two axisymmetric plates ASME Meeting APMW-26 Aug 30 Sep 1 1965 1965 New York, NY, United States American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Roark, R.J. Young, W.C. Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain sixth 1989 New York McGraw-Hill
- Hutchinson, J.R. Shear coefficients for timoshenko beam theory Transactions of the ASME. Journal of Applied Mechanics 2001 68 87 92
- Kaneko, T. ON TIMOSHENKO'S CORRECTION FOR SHEAR IN VIBRATING BEAMS Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 1975 8 16 1927 1936
- Puchegger, S. Bauer, S. Loidl, D. Kromp, K. Peterlik, H. Experimental validation of the shear correction factor Journal of Sound and Vibration 2003 261 1 177 184