This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tool Wear and Hole Quality in Drilling of Composite/Titanium Stacks with Carbide and PCD Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on the experimental study of carbide and polycrystalline diamond (PCD) drills used for drilling composite/titanium stacks. Materials systems used in this study were multi-directional carbon fiber in an epoxy matrix and titanium 6Al-4V. The drill materials included tungsten carbide (WC; 9%Co ultra fine grain) and polycrystalline diamond (PCD; bimodal grade). Torque and thrust force were measured during the drilling experiments. Tool wear of both drills was periodically examined during the drilling tests using various microscopic techniques such as optical and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). Effect of tool materials and process condition on hole quality parameters such as hole diameter, surface roughness, and titanium burrs, were examined. Dissimilar mechanical and thermal properties of the stacks affected the tool life and resulted in the decreased hole quality for both cutting tool materials, although to a differing degree.
|Technical Paper||Carbon Epoxy Perforated Skin for Nacelle Acoustic Treatment|
|Technical Paper||Hole Quality Study in High Speed Drilling of Composite and Aluminum Sheet Metal|
|Technical Paper||Fabrication of Automotive Body Components in GrFRP|
CitationKim, D., Kwon, P., Lantrip, J., Beal, A. et al., "Tool Wear and Hole Quality in Drilling of Composite/Titanium Stacks with Carbide and PCD Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1868, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1868.
- Lantrip, J. 2008 “New Tools Needed” Cutting Tool Engineering 60 8 http://www.ctemag.com/pdf/2008/0808-Holemaking.pdf
- Garrick, R. “Drilling Advanced Aircraft Structures with PCD (Poly-Crystalline Diamond) Drills,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3893 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3893
- Kim, D. Ramulu, M. 2004 Drilling process optimization for graphite/bismaleimide- titanium alloy stacks Composite Structures 63 101 114
- Kim, D. Ramulu, M. 2007 “Study on the drilling of Titanium/Graphite Hybrid Composites,” ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 129 390 396
- Teti, R. 2002 “Machining of composite materials.” CIRP ANNALS, Manufacturing Technology 51 611 634
- Sanjaya, C. Neemab, M.L. Chinc, C.W. 2005 Modeling of tool wear in drilling by statistical analysis and artificial neural network Journal of Materials Processing Technology 170 3 494 500
- Sharif, S. Rahim, E.A. 2007 “Performance of coated-and uncoated-carbide tools when drilling titanium alloy-Ti-6Al4V.” Journal of materials processing technology 185 1-3 72 76
- Park, K. Kwon, P. Castro, G. Kim, D. Lantrip, J. “Prelimary study on tool wear in drilling of composites/titanium stacks with carbide and PCD tools” Transactions of the North American Manufacturing Research Institution of SME
- Liu, J. Shao, X.J. Liu, Y.J. Liu, Y.S. Yue, Z.F. 2007 “The effect of holes quality on fatigue life of open hole.” Materials Science and Engineering A 467 8 14
- Brinksmeiera, E. Janssena, R. 2002 Drilling of Multi-Layer Composite Materials consisting of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP) Titanium and Aluminum Alloys 51 1 87 90