This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluating High Temperature/High Voltage Packaging for SiC Power Electronics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
This paper presents follow-on material and conclusions to a previously published paper that presented work to develop and validate life prediction models for SiC device packaging [ 1 ]. The first step in this work was to determine the most probable failure modes in the device packaging. After determining the expected dominant failure modes of a SiC semiconductor packaging, appropriate models were identified and applied to the packaging in order to track remaining useful life. Once failure modeling was completed, the life prediction models were validated. Validation consisted of accelerated life testing designed to stress specific parts of the device package so as to stimulate the desired failure mechanism. This paper will review the three testing methodologies designed to excite the three dominant failure mechanisms in the electronic packaging. These tests can be broken into two types of general tests: power cycling and high temperature reverse bias testing (HTRB). Power cycling raises and lowers the temperature of the packaging in a controlled manner such that the parts are thermally stressed - inducing cycling stresses and ultimately fatigue failure. HTRB testing entails placing the package in a blocking state under a large electric field and under high temperatures. All testing has been completed for all three failure modes. Failures that occurred during these tests will be described, along with a discussion of general observations of the results including model validation where possible.
CitationBower, G., Rogan, C., and Zugger, M., "Evaluating High Temperature/High Voltage Packaging for SiC Power Electronics," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1793, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1793.
- Bower, G. Rogan, C. Kozlowski, J. Zugger, M. “SiC Power Electronics Packaging Prognostics,” 2008 IEEE Aerospace Conference 1 12 1 8 March 2008
- The Nordic Electronics Packaging Guideline http://extra.ivf.se/ngl/
- Meyyappan, Karumbu Nathan “Failure Prediction of Wire Bonds Due to Flexure.” University of Maryland 2004
- Engelmaier, Werner “Fatigue Life of Leadless Chip Carrier Solder Joints During Power Cycling,” IEEE Transactions on Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology 6 3 232 237 1983
- Fabian, J.-H. Hartmann, S. Hamidi, A. “Analysis of insulation failure modes in high power IGBT modules” Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, Fourteenth IAS Annual Meeting 2 799 805 2 6 Oct. 2005
- Pecht, M. “Integrated Circuit, Hybrid, and Multichip Module Package Design Guidelines: A Focus on Reliability,” John Wiley & Sons New York, NY 1994
- Lau, John H. “Solder joint Reliability: Theory and Applications,” Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1991