This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Facilitating the Energy Optimization of Aircraft Propulsion and Thermal Management Systems through Integrated Modeling and Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
An integrated, multidisciplinary environment of a tactical aircraft platform has been created by leveraging the powerful capabilities of both MATLAB/Simulink and Numerical Propulsion System Simulation (NPSS). The overall simulation includes propulsion, power, and thermal management subsystem models, which are integrated together and linked to an air vehicle model and mission profile. The model has the capability of tracking temperatures and performance metrics and subsequently controlling characteristics of the propulsion and thermal management subsystems. The integrated model enables system-level trade studies involving the optimization of engine bleed and power extraction and thermal management requirements to be conducted. The simulation can also be used to examine future technologies and advanced thermal management architectures in order to increase mission capability and performance.
CitationMaser, A., Garcia, E., and Mavris, D., "Facilitating the Energy Optimization of Aircraft Propulsion and Thermal Management Systems through Integrated Modeling and Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1787, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1787.
- Walters, Eric A. Iden, Steve et. al. INVENT Modeling, Simulation, Analysis and Optimization AIAA 2010 287
- Bodie, Mark Russell, Greg McCarthy, Kevin Lucas, Eric Zumberge, Jon Wolff, Mitch Thermal Analysis of an Integrated Aircraft Model AIAA 2010 288
- Mattingly, Jack D. Heiser, William H. Pratt, David T. Aircraft Engine Design Reston, VA AIAA 2002
- Iden, Steven M. Integrated Vehicle Energy Technology INVENT Program Overview 8 Sep 2008
- McCarthy, K. Walters, E. Hetzel, A. Elangovan, R. et al. “Dynamic Thermal Management System Modeling of a More Electric Aircraft,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2886 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2886
- Maser, Adam C. Garcia, Elena Mavris, Dimitri N. Thermal Management Modeling for Integrated Power Systems in a Transient Multidisciplinary Environment AIAA 2009 5505