This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Considering the Dynamic Pad Stiffness in FEM Analysis of Disk Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study aims to incorporate the dynamic stiffness of pads into the finite element method (FEM) used for brake design in order to improve the accuracy of FEM analyses. In the first step, the vibration caused by a disk brake squeal is simulated in order to measure the dynamic stiffness of the brake pads. We then compare this result with the static stiffness result obtained from a past static compressive strain and show that these different modes of stiffness have different characteristics. The dynamic stiffness of the pad is higher than the static stiffness and is greatly dependent on pressure load. The next step is to show, from the squeal experiments using a simple squeal tester and FEM analysis, that it is dynamic stiffness and not static stiffness of the pads that correlates to squeal. Finally, the aim is to demonstrate that by incorporating the change in the dynamic stiffness of pads resulting from wear into FEM analysis, the change in the frequency of squeal attributable to wear can be reproduced.
CitationNonaka, H., Nishizawa, Y., Kurita, Y., and Oura, Y., "Considering the Dynamic Pad Stiffness in FEM Analysis of Disk Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1716, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1716.
- Earles, S.W.E. Lee, C.K. Instabilities Arising from the Frictional Interaction of a Pin-Disc System Resulting in Noise Generation Trans. ASME, H. Eng. Ind. 98-1 1976 81 86
- Millner, N. “An Analysis of Disk Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 780332 1978 10.4271/780332
- Chung, C.-H. Steed, W. Kobayashi, K. Nakata, H. “A New Analysis Method for Brake Squeal Part 1: Theory for Modal Domain Formulation and Stability Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1600 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1600
- Lee, H. Kikuchi, N. “Sensitivity Analysis of Complex Eignesolutions for Brake Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1626 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1626
- Oura, Y. Kurita, Y. Matsumura, Y. Influence of Dynamic Stiffness in Contact Region on Disk Brake Squeal Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C 73 731 2007 1985 1991
- Kurita, Y. Matsumura, Y. Ito, A. Tamura, T. Oura, Y. Squeal Vibration in Disk Brake Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C 70 694 2004 1609 1615
- Oura, Y. Kurita, Y. Matsumura, Y. Tamura, T. Surface Contact Analysis Model for Squeal on Disk Brake Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C 73 731 2007 1977 1984
- Oura, Y. Kurita, Y. Matsumura, Y. Nishizawa, Y. “Influence of Distributed Stiffness in Contact Surface on Disk Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2584 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2584
- Nishizawa, Y. Wakamatsu, S. Yanagida, H. Takahara, Y. “Study of Dynamic Pad Stiffness Influencing Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3956 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3956
- Kosaka, K. Nishizawa, Y. Kurita, Y. Oura, Y. Influences of Brake Pad Thickness on Disk Brake Squeal, The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Dynamics and Design Conference, No.09-23 2009 58