This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake By Wire System Configuration and Functions using Front EWB (Electric Wedge Brake) and Rear EMB (Electro-Mechanical Brake) Actuators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dry Brake-By-Wire (BBW) system is one in which the existing hydraulic system is replaced by motor driven electro-mechanical calipers. Although it has yet to be introduced into series production, the attractive benefits of BBW have kept it in the mainstream of brake research for a number of years. In the current investigation, the BBW system is configured with electric wedge brakes in the front axle where high braking forces are required, while conventional electro-mechanical brakes are used in the rear axles. This paper will examine the feasibility of the current BBW system configuration through lab and vehicle performance tests including ABS (anti-lock braking system).
|Journal Article||Electro-Mechanical Brake for Front Wheel with Back-up Braking|
|Aerospace Standard||Skid Control Performance|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Brake Control Using Test Rig-in-the-Loop Technique|
CitationCheon, J., "Brake By Wire System Configuration and Functions using Front EWB (Electric Wedge Brake) and Rear EMB (Electro-Mechanical Brake) Actuators," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1708, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1708.
- Maron, C. Dieckmann, T. Hauch, S. Prinzler, H. “Electromechanical Brake System : Actuator Control Development System,” SAE Technical Paper 970814 1997 10.4271/970814
- Schwarz, R. Isermann, R. Bohm, J. Nell, J. Rieth, P. “Modeling and Control of an Electromechanical Disk Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 980600 1998 10.4271/980600
- Schwarz, R. Isermann, R. Bohm, J. Nell, J. Rieth, P. “Clamping Force Estimation for a Brake-by-Wire Actuator,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0482 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0482
- Sundar, M. Plunkett, D. “Brake-by-Wire, Motivation and Engineering - GM Sequel,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3194 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3194
- Gombert, B. Hartmann, H. Schautt, M. Pascucci, A. “eBrake - the Mechatronic Wedge Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2582 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2582
- Roberts, R. Schautt, M. Gombert, B. Hartman, H. “Modelling and Validation of the Mechatronic Wedge Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3331 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3331
- Roberts, R. Gombert, B. Hartman, H. Lange, D. Schautt, M. “Testing the Mechatronic Wedge Brake,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2766 2004 10/4271/2004-01-2766
- Ho, L-M. Roberts, R. Hartman, H. Gombert, B. “The Electronic Wedge Brake - EWB,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3196 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3196
- Fox, J. Roberts, R. Baier-Welt, C. Ho, L-M. Lacraru, L. Gombert, B. “Modeling and Control of a Single Motor Electronic Wedge Brake,” SAE Technical paper 2007-01-0866 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0866
- Neunzig, D. Linhoff, P. “Electric Hydraulic Combi Braking System (EHC) - bringing dry Brake by Wire into the market,” IQPC 5th Int’l Congress: Intelligent Braking 2009
- Limpert, Rudolf Brake Design and Safety SAE International 1999
- Shigley, J.E. Mischeke, C.R. Mechanical Engineering Design 5th McGraw-Hill 1989
- Choi, S.B. “Antilock Brake System with a Continuous Wheel Slip Control to Maximize the Braking Performance and the Ride Quality,” IEEE Transactions on Control Technology 16 2008