This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation and Countermeasure Development of Brake Noise on a Motorcycle Platform
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A case study was performed on a motorcycle platform to resolve customer complaint concerning Brake Noise. The Brake Noise was classically characterized in the moan and squeal frequency bands. Brake moan was present on the rear brake system, mostly in reverse, and without brake apply. The primary frequency for moan was in the range of 270 - 280 Hz. Brake squeal was confirmed at multiple frequencies on both the front and rear brakes.
The intent of this paper is to present the challenges as well as the correlation of automotive methods and countermeasures to resolve these issues. Modal analysis was performed both experimentally and analytically to establish the correlation and to define the modal coupling of individual and adjacent components. Dynamometer testing was performed experimentally by adapting and evaluating the auto industry noise screening standard procedure SAE J2521 . This procedure was used to establish a baseline reference, evaluate effectiveness of potential countermeasures and for the validation of the countermeasures for the Front and Rear brake systems.
Structural component changes were proposed and tested based on the modal analysis study for brake moan on the rear caliper mounting bracket and brake rotor. A tuned mass damper was also evaluated as a potential moan fix. Brake squeal was dramatically improved with the implementation of automotive type laminated noise dampening shims on both the front and rear brakes lining shoe plates
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Instabilities in a Simple Model of a Car Disc Brake|
|Technical Paper||The Integrated Test Concept: Dyno - Vehicle, Performance - Noise|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Friction Law on Brake Creep-Groan|
CitationKhan, M., Johnson, K., Lichtensteiger, T., and Lockrem, C., "Evaluation and Countermeasure Development of Brake Noise on a Motorcycle Platform," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1695, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1695.
- Dunlap, K.B. Riehle, M.A. Longhouse, R.E. “An Overview of Automotive Disc Brake Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0142 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0142
- Wang, A. Zhang, L. Jaber, N. Reiker, J. “On Brake Moan Mechanism from the Modeling Perspective,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0681 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0681
- Gouya, M. Nishiwaki, M. “Study on Disc Brake Groan,” SAE Technical Paper 900007 1990 10.4271/900007
- Nack, W.V. Joshi, A.M. “Friction Induced Vibration: Brake Moan,” SAE Technical Paper 951095 1995 10.4271/951095
- Abdelhamid, M.K. “Creep Groan of Disc Brakes,” SAE Technical Paper 951282 1995 10.4271/951282
- Brecht, J. Hoffrichter, W. Dohle, A. “Mechanisms of Brake Creep-Groan,” SAE Technical Paper 973026 1997 10.4271/973026
- Brecht, J. Schiffner, K. “Influence of Friction Law on Brake Creep-Groan,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3138 2001 2001-01-3138
- Vadari, V. Jackson, M. “An Experimental Investigation of Disc Brake Creep-Groan in Vehicles and Brake Dynamometer Correlation,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3408 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3408
- Nishiwaki, M, “Review of Study on Brake Squeal,” JSAE Review 11 4 48 54 1990
- Kinkad., N, M, O'Reilly., O, M, Papadopoulos, P, “Automotive Disk Brake Squeal: A Review,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 267 105 166 2003
- Chen, F. Quagila, R.L. Tan, C.A. “On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Part I: Mechanism and Causes,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0683 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0683
- Chen, F. “Disc Brake Squeal: An Overview,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0587 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0587
- Nashif, A. Denys, E. “A Method to Predict the Modal Damping in a Braking System Based on the Damping of the Pad in its Free-Free Condition,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3222 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3222
- Denys, E. Yang, M. Chen, F. “Brake Pad Damping: Measurement, Design and Application,” SAE Warrendale 0-7680-1248-1 187 214 2006
- Kang, J. “Squeal Analysis of Gyroscopic Disc Brake System Based on Finite Element Method,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 51 284 294 2009
- Yue, Y. Zhang, L. “A Study of Effects of Brake Contact Interfaces on Brake Squeal,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 1406 1413 2009 2009-01-2100
- Billotto, F.V. Sophiea, D. “Polyurethane Foam Systems For NVH and Improved Crashworthiness,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1467 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1467
- Triches, M. Gerges, S. Jordan, R. “Reduction of Squeal Noise from Disc Brake Systems Using Constrained Layer Damping.” Journal of the Brazil Society of Mechanical, Science and Engineering XXVI 340 348 2004