This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Controlling the Heat Release in HCCI Combustion of DME with Methanol and EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of methanol and EGR on HCCI combustion of dimethyl ether have been tested separately in a diesel engine. The engine was equipped with a common rail injection system which allowed for random injection of DME. The engine could therefore be operated either as a normal DI CI engine or, by advancing the injection timing 360 CAD, as an HCCI engine. The compression ratio of the engine was reduced to 14.5 by enlarging the piston bowls.
The engine was operated in HCCI mode with DME at an equivalence ratio of 0.25. To retard the combustion timing, methanol was port fuel injected and the optimum quantity required was determined. The added methanol increased the BMEP by increasing the total heat release and retarding the combustion to after TDC. Engine knock was reduced with increasing quantities of methanol. The highest BMEP was achieved when the equivalence ratio of methanol was around 0.12 at 1000 RPM, and around 0.76 at 1800 RPM.
EGR was also used to retarding the timing. With a moderate amount of EGR the effect on the combustion was not notable, but as the equivalence ratio approached unity the combustion was increasingly delayed and the rate of reaction reduced. Engine knock seized entirely as the EGR ratio was increased above 60 %. The BMEP gain was however moderate, since lower cylinder pressures at higher EGR quantities counteracted the positive effects of combustion timing.
CitationPedersen, T., Schramm, J., Yanai, T., and Sato, Y., "Controlling the Heat Release in HCCI Combustion of DME with Methanol and EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1489, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1489.
- Yao Mingfa An Investigation on the Effects of Fuel Chemistry and Engine Operating Conditions on HCCI Combustion SAE 2008-01-1660 2008
- Zheng Zunqing Yao Mingfa Chen Zheng Zhang Bo Experimental Study on HCCI Combustion of Dimethyl Ether (DME)/Methanol Dual Fuel SAE paper 2004-01-2993
- Yao Mingfa Chen Zheng Zheng Zunqing Zhang Bo Xing Yuan Study on the controlling strategies of homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion with fuel of dimethyl ether and methanol FUEL 85 2046 2056 Elsevier 2006
- Ogawa Hideyuki Miyamoto Noboru Kaneko Naoya Ando Hirokazu Combustion Control and Operating Range Expansion With Direct Injection of Reaction Suppressors in a Premixed Dme Hccl Engine SAE 2003-01-0746 2003
- Kanoto Yoshihiko Ohmura Tetsuo Iida Norimasa An Investigation of Combustion Control Using EGR for Small and Light HCCI Engine Fuelled With DME 2007-01-1876 2007
- Yao Mingfa Chen Zheng Zheng Zun-qing Zhang Bo Xing Yuan Effects of EGR on HCCI Combustion Fuelled with Dimethyl Ether (DME) and Methanol Dual-Fuels 2005-01-3730 2005
- Katijani S. Chen Z. Oguma M. Konno M. A study of low-compression-ratio dimethyl ether diesel engines Internal Journal of Engine Research 3 1 1468-0874
- Pedersen Troels Dyhr Schramm Jesper A Study on the Effects of Compression Ratio, Engine Speed and Equivalence Ratio on HCCI Combustion of DME SAE 2007-01-1860 2007
- Yao Ming-fa Zheng Zhao-Lei Liang Xia Numerical Study on the Chemical Reaction Kinetics of DME/Methanol HCCI Combustion Process SAE 2006-01-1521 2006
- Tezaki Atsumu Yamada Hiroyuki Ohtomo Mitsuaki Mechanism Controlling Autoignition Derived From Transient Chemical Composition Analysis in HCCI SAE 2007-01-1882 2007
- Curran, H. J. Fischer S. L. Dryer F. L. The Reaction Kinetics of Dimethyl Ether. II: Low-Temperature Pyrolysis and Oxidation in Flow Reactors Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 32 741 759 2000 Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Livermore, CA 2000
- Fischer, S. L. Dryer F. L. Curran H. J. The Reaction Kinetics of Dimethyl Ether. I: High-Temperature Pyrolysis and Oxidation in Flow Reactors Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 32 713 740 2000 Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Livermore, CA 2000
- Sato, Yoshio Nozaki, Shinya Noda, Toshifumi The Performance of a Diesel Engine for Light Duty Truck Using a Jerk Type In-Line DME Injection System SAE paper 2004-01-1862
- Tsuchiya Takayugi Sato Yoshio Development of DME Engine for Heavy-duty Truck SAE paper 2006-01-0052 2006
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 0-07-100499-8
- Yamada Hiroyuki Yoshii Masataka Tezaki Atsumu Chemical mechanistic analysis of additive effects in homogeneous charge compression ignition of dimethyl ether Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2773 2780 Elsevier 2004
- Yamada Hiroyuki Ohtomo M Yoshii M Tezaki A Controlling mechanism of ignition enhancing and suppressing additives in premixed compression ignition Internal Journal on Engine Research 6 IMechE 2005
- Yanai Tadanori Sato Yoshio Kawamura Atsuhiro Oikawa Hiroshi Nozaki Shinya Noda Toshifumi Ishikawa Teruaki Development and Engine Bench Testing of a Common Rail Type DME Injection System SAE 2008-08-0501 2008