This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Proposed Relation for Knock Auto-Ignition Induction Period Evaluation in a LPG Fueled SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present study, a relation for the evaluation of knock auto-ignition induction period was studied in the case of a spark ignition engine for heavy-duty transportation fueled with commercial LPG.
Because the existing formulas for knock auto-ignition induction time were determined for quasi-steady mixture conditions and in general for pure hydrocarbons, it was considered interesting the establishing of a such a relation using pressure data recorded from a internal combustion engine; in this case being took in account the influence of combustion cyclic variability and also of using a mixture of hydrocarbons.
The results obtained after knock was characterized in terms of intensity and onset crank angle and a two zone combustion model was developed and applied for obtaining the unburned zone temperature, were conducted in the way of determining and verifying possible relations for knock auto-ignition induction time.
|Collection||Abnormal SI Combustion, 2017|
|Technical Paper||A PREDICTIVE MODEL FOR GAS FUELED SPARK IGNITION ENGINE APPLICATIONS|
|Technical Paper||A Dimensionless Criterion for Predicting the Onset of Knock in Spark Ignition Engines|
CitationFuiorescu, D. and Radu, B., "A Proposed Relation for Knock Auto-Ignition Induction Period Evaluation in a LPG Fueled SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1455, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1455.
- Chun, K.M. Heywood, J.B. “Characterization of Knock in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 890156 1989
- Kalghatgi, G.T. Snowdon, P. McDonald, C.R. “Studies of Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine with “CARS” Temperature Measurements and Using Different Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 950690 1995
- Heywood, J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw Hill Book Comp. New York 978-0070286375 1988
- Apostolescu, N. Chiriac, R. The combustion process in internal combustion engines (in Romanian) Tehnica Bucharest 973-31-1239-9 1998
- Chiriac, R. Apostolescu, N. Niculescu, D. “An Experimental Study of Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with LPG,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0976 2004
- Douaud, A.M. Eyzat, P. “Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 780080 1978
- By, A. Kempinski, B. Rife, J.M. “Knock in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 810147 1981
- Radu, B. Fuiorescu, D. “A thermodynamic approach for knock auto-ignition induction period in a LPG fueled SI engine” The 28th Meeting of the Italian Section of The Combustion Institute - Combustion and Urban Areas, Paper no. II-3 Napoli, Italy July 4-7 2005
- Hardenberg, H.O. Hase, F.W. “An Empirical Formula for Computing the Pressure Rise Delay of a Fuel from Its Cetane Number and from Relevant Parameters of Direct-Injection Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 790493 1979
- Kamel, M. Watson, N. “Heat release and ignition delay in an indirect injection Diesel engine” XVIII FISITA Congress, Paper 80.4.18 Hamburg 1980