This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of Advanced Urea-SCR Systems for Tier 2 Bin 5 and Beyond Diesel Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An advanced diesel aftertreatment system utilizing Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) with urea for lean nitrogen oxides (NOx) control was tested on a 2.7L V6 Land Rover vehicle to demonstrate the capability of achieving Tier 2 Bin 5 and lower emission standards for light-duty trucks. SCR washcoat was applied to a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to perform NOx and particulate reduction simultaneously. Advanced SCR systems employed both traditional SCR catalysts and SCR-coated filters (SCRF) to improve the NOx reduction efficiency. The engine-out NOx level was adjusted by modifying the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) calibration. Cold start NOx performance was improved by SCR warm-up strategy and urea over injection. This study showed the advanced SCR system could tolerate higher NH₃ storage in the SCR catalyst, resulting in overall higher NOx conversion on the FTP-75 test cycle. With a modified strategy, the aftertreatment system (oven aged to represent 120k mi) achieved 0.046 g/mi for NOx tailpipe emission and 0.023 g/mi for NMHC tailpipe emission.
CitationGuo, G., Warner, J., Cavataio, G., Dobson, D. et al., "The Development of Advanced Urea-SCR Systems for Tier 2 Bin 5 and Beyond Diesel Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1183, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1183.
- Lambert, C. Hammerle, R. McGill, R. Khair. M. et al. “Technical Advantages of Urea SCR for Light-Duty and Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicle Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1292 2004
- Johnson, T. “Diesel Emission Control in Review,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0233 2007
- Cavataio, G. Girard, J.W. Lambert, C.K. “Cu/Zeolite SCR on High Porosity Filters: Laboratory and Engine Performance Evaluations,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0897 2009
- Cavataio, G. Jen, H.-W. Warner, J.R. Girard, J.W. et al. “Enhanced Durability of a Cu/Zeolite Based SCR Catalyst,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 477 487 2008
- Upadhyay D. Van Nieuwstadt M. “Model based analysis and control design of a Urea-SCR deNO x aftertreatment system” Journal of Dynamic Systems 128 Sept 2006