This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Dynamic Solution Based on Finite Element Tire/Road Interaction Implemented through Implicit/Explicit Sequential and Co-Simulation Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work describes a numerical methodology based on the Finite Element approach able to simulate the dynamic maneuver of the full vehicle running on fatigue reference roads. The basic idea of present work stays in combining a moderately complex and general finite element tire model with traditional full-vehicle methods, including both implicit and explicit finite element techniques, in order to predict the dynamic response of the car running on the real fatigue reference roads. Some issues related to application of tire finite element model to a long simulation time in an explicit solution have been discussed. The best integration strategy between implicit and explicit solutions, based on pure sequential and/or the combined sequential and co-simulation mode is discussed. The real fatigue load is digitalized and implemented as a rigid body in the explicit code. The methodology has been successfully applied to Fiat light commercial vehicle, New Fiorino and to the “500” car chosen as tests case for this work.
CitationDuni, E., Toniato, G., Saponaro, R., Smeriglio, P. et al., "Vehicle Dynamic Solution Based on Finite Element Tire/Road Interaction Implemented through Implicit/Explicit Sequential and Co-Simulation Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1138, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1138.
- Bakker, E. Pacejka, H.B. Lidner, L. “A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 890087 1989
- Bakker, E. Nyborg, L. Pacejka, H.B. “Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 870421 1987
- Bathe, K. J “Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis” Prentice-Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 07632 1982
- Duni E. Saponaro R. Monfrino G Caudano M. Urbinati F. Spinelli M Antonino P. “Numerical Simulation of Full Vehicle Dynamics behaviour based on the interaction between Abaqus /Standard and Explicit Codes,” Abaqus Users' Conference june Munich 2003
- Duni E. Saponaro R. Monfrino G Caudano M. Urbinati F. Spinelli M Pizzuto A. “An integrated approach for numerical simulation of full vehicle behaviour during transient dynamic maneuvres on arbitrary obstacles and road surfaces,” IMECE2003 - 41374, ASME Procedings november WASHINGTON 2003
- Duni E. Toniato G. Saponaro R. Smeriglio P. “Vehicle Fatigue Load Prediction based on Finite Element TIRE/ROAD Interaction implemented in an Integrated Implicit-Explicit Approach,” Abaqus Users' Conference May New Port 2008
- Dixon, J. C. “Tires, suspensions and handling” Cambridge University Press England 1991
- Genta, G. “Meccanica dell'Autoveicolo” Levrotto & Bella Italy 1993
- Morelli, A. “Progetto dell'Autoveicolo” CELID Italy 1999
- Pacejka, H.B. Bakker, E. “The magic formula tyre model” 1st International Colloquium on Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis Delft, The Netherlands October 21-22 1991 Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1 18 1993
- Reimpell, J. Stoll, H. “Automotive Chassis - Engineering Principles” Arnold, England 1996