This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Analysis of Flow through a Gerotor Oil Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing the efficiency of engine auxiliary systems have become a challenge. Oil pump, identified for this study, is one such engine system which is used for lubrication of engine parts. To achieve higher efficiencies, there is a need for math-based analysis and design. This can be achieved by means of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). The main aim of this paper is to simulate the flow through Gerotor Oil pump using Computational Fluid Dynamics. A 3D model of the entire flow domain is created and meshed in preprocessor GAMBIT. The mesh for various pressure outlet conditions is exported to FLUENT solver for analysis. The predicted results are validated with the experimental results. The comparison shows that the CFD predictions are in good agreement with experimental results. In particular, such a simulation offers a scope for visualizing the flow through the Gerotor oil pump.
CitationNatchimuthu, K., Sureshkumar, J., and Ganesan, V., "CFD Analysis of Flow through a Gerotor Oil Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1111, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1111.
- Zhang, D. Perng, C.-Y. Laverty, M. “Gerotor Oil Pump Performance and Flow/Ripple Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0359 2006
- Fabiani, M. Manco, S. Nervegna, N. Rundo, M. et al. “Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0626 1999
- Koch, F. Maassen, F. Geiger, U. “Development of Modern Engine Lubrication Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 970922 1997
- Gamez-Montero, P.J. Codina, E. “Flow Ripple in a Gerotor Pump,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1375 2002
- Haworth, D.C. Maguire, J.M. Matthes, W.R. Rhein, R. et al. “Dynamic Fluid Flow Analysis of Oil Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 960422 1996
- Iduicello, F Mitchell “CFD Modelling of the Flow in a Gerotor pump,” University of Bath 53 64
- Jiang, Y. Przekwas, A. Perng, C.-Y. “Computational Analysis of Oil Pumps with an Implicit Pressure Based Method Using Unstructured Mixed Element Grids,” SAE Technical Paper 960423 1996
- Riemslagh Kris Vierndeels Jan Dick Erik “Two-dimensional incompressible Navier-Stokes calculations in complex-shaped moving domains,” Journal of Engineering Mathematics ED-34 57 73 February 1998
- Wang, L. Fernholz, C.M. Bishop, L. “Hydraulic Steering Pump Cavity Flow CFD Simulation to Improve NVH Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1611 2001
- Manco, S. Nervegna, N. Rundo, M. Armenio, G. et al. “Gerotor Lubricating Oil Pump for IC Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 982689 1998
- Nam Kyung-Woo, Jo Sok-Hyun Jae-In Park “Numerical Simulation in the IC Engine Lubricating Gerotor oil pump,” Journal of Korean Society of precision Engineering 23 2 February 2006 88 96
- Nwyman “CFD Modeling of an Internal Rotary Pump,” CFD Review 2000
- Kini, S. Mapara, N. Thoms, R. Chang, P. et al. “Numerical Simulation of Cover Plate Deflection in the Gerotor Pump,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1917 2005
- Strasser Wayne “CFD Investigation of Gear Pump Mixing Using Deforming/ Agglomerating Mesh,” ASME Transactions ED-129 476 484 Apr. 2007