This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulations of Key Design Parameters and Performance Optimization for a Free-piston Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To develop a free-piston engine-alternator integrative power system for Hybrid Electric Vehicles, the key design parameters, such as reciprocating mass of the piston assembly, compression ratio, the ignition timing, the engine fuel consumption rate and power output, are studied based on the simulation. The results show that, the system simulation model of the free piston engine can predict the in-cylinder pressure vs. the piston's displacement being accurate enough as the test results from reported reference. The model can be employed to optimize the design parameters and to predict the fuel economy and power output. It provides the methods and bases for the free piston engine design and predicting the main performance parameters' values.
CitationLi, L., Luan, Y., Wang, Z., Deng, J. et al., "Simulations of Key Design Parameters and Performance Optimization for a Free-piston Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1105, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1105.
- Mikalsen R. Roskilly A.P. A Review of Free-Piston Engine History and Applications Applied Thermal Engineering 27 2007 2339 2352
- Bizhong Xia Hui Zhang Simulation Study of Dynamic Characteristics for a Hydraulic Free Piston Engine Mechanical Science and Technology 2005 24 11 1330 1333 1386
- Bizhong Xia Jinsong Wang Development Of A Dual Piston Hydraulic Free Piston Engine Prototype and Its Compression Ratio Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2006 42 3 117 123
- Qingfeng Li Jin Xiao Zhen Huang Dynamic Simulation Study of A Free Piston Engine-alternator Chinese Society for Internal Combustion Engines, Subsociety of Combustion Purification and Energy-saving. 2007 Annual Acadamic Conference Symposium 2007 8
- Mikalsen R. Roskilly A.P. Performance Simulation of a Spark Ignited Free-piston Engine Generator Applied Thermal Engineering 28 2008 1726 1733
- Shoukry Ehab F. “Numerical Simulation for Parametric Study of a Two-Stroke Compression Ignition Direct Injection Linear engine,” West Virginia University 2003
- Atkinson, C.M. Petreanu, S. Clark, N. Atkinson, R.J. et al. “Numerical Simulation of a Two-Stroke Linear Engine-Alternator Combination,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0921 1999
- Jiarui Chen Automotive Basics Beijing China Communications Press 2001 2
- Yuda Hu Practical Multi-Object Optimization Shanghai Shanghai Science and Technology Press 1990 4