This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Life Prediction Modeling for Diesel Fuel Filters Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the application of Weibull distribution model on diesel fuel filter field clogging results in the aim to create an innovative life prediction model for filtration medium surface calculation.
A complete investigation of high performance 2 layers pleated media fuel filter clogging has been done with common rail diesel vehicles powered with EN590 fuel. 2 new numbers have been created to characterize clogging advancement and filter life of all filters based on same filter media technology.
A filter media surface design model has been created based on 90% Weibull reliability of the filtered volume for diesel filter pressure drop equal to 250mbar. This model has been successfully applied to design the diesel fuel filter for the new 3 liters V6 common rail engine V9X fro RENAULT. 25% filter media surface saving has been reach without degradation of filter change interval.
|Technical Paper||Computer Simulation of the Diesel Fuel Injection System|
|Technical Paper||Modeling Fuel System Performance and Its Effect on Spray Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||CFD Simulations of Critical Components in Fuel Filling Systems|
CitationPetiteaux, M., "Analytical Life Prediction Modeling for Diesel Fuel Filters Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1100, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1100.
- ISO 4020:2001 “Road vehicles - Fuel filters for diesel engines - Test methods”, ISO Organization, December 2001
- ISO 19438:2003 “Diesel fuel and petrol filters for internal combustion engines - Filtration efficiency using particle counting and contaminant retention capacity”, ISO Organization, November 2003
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Fuel Filter Test Methods,” SAE Standard J905, Rev. Sept. 2009.
- JSA JIS D 1617 “Automotive Parts - Fuel Filters for Diesel Engines - Test Methods”, Japanese Standards Association, July 1998
- Petiteaux, M. and Monsallier, G., “Impacts of Biodiesel Blends on Fuel Filters Functions, Laboratory and Field Tests Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1876, 2009.
- Jianxiang, Z., Xiang, G., and Mingfeng, Z., “Statistical Distribution Model of Field Reliability Based on Phased Weibull Distribution,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3526, 2007.
- Weibull.com, “Reliability Basics - Characteristics of the Weibull Distribution”, http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue14/relbasics14.htm, September 2009