This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crash Safety of Lithium-Ion Batteries Towards Development of a Computational Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Battery packs for Hybrids, Plug-in Hybrids, and Electric Vehicles are assembled from a system of modules (sheets) with a tight sheet metal casing around them. Each module consists of an array of individual cells which vary in the composition of electrodes and separator from one manufacturer to another. In this paper a general procedure is outlined on the development of a constitutive and computational model of a cylindrical cell. Particular emphasis is placed on correct prediction of initiation and propagation of a tearing fracture of the steel can. The computational model correctly predicts rupture of the steel can which could release aggressive chemicals, fumes, or spread the ignited fire to the neighboring cells. The initiation site of skin fracture depends on many factors such as the ductility of the casing material, constitutive behavior of the system of electrodes, and type of loading. In the second part of the paper, a localized impact response of the entire battery pack is studied numerically from the point of view of predicting initiation and propagation of cracks in the steel casing. It was found that the weakest point occurs in the bolted connections between various parts of the casing. The calculations also revealed that failure of the joints occurred progressively and started quite early during simulation of the drop test.
CitationSahraei, E., Wierzbicki, T., Hill, R., and Luo, M., "Crash Safety of Lithium-Ion Batteries Towards Development of a Computational Model," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1078, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1078.
- Lim J.M., Seo, S., Suk, J., and Kim, G., “Evaluation of Crash Protection for Hybrid Electrical Vehicle under Rear Impact,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0189, 2008.
- Otsuki M., Ogino T., Amine Kh., “Investigation for Flame-retardant additives for safety usage of lithium ion batteries”, ESC Transactions, 1 (24) 13-19, 2006
- Nguyen J., Taylor Ch., “Safety Performance for phosphate based large format lithium-ion battery”, INTELEC 2004, IEEE, 146-148, 2004
- Henriksen G.L., Vissers D.R., Chilenskas A.A., “Safety Characteristics of lithium alloy/metal sulfide batteries”, Journal of power sources, (54) 134-137, 1995
- Ashtiani C, “Design and development for production of the Think EV battery pack”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Oh J., “Large lithium-ion battery for automotive applications”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Summary of A123 Systems Hymotion™ L5 PCM Crash Testing, http://www.a123systems.com/hymotion/pop_ups/crash, Accessed August 2009
- Jeevarajan J.A., Hall A.D., “Study of the intrinsic safety features in a cylindrical Li-ion cell”, ESC Transactions, 1(24) 1-5, 2006
- Bai Y., Wierzbicki T., “Application of the modified Coulomb-Mohr model to ductile fracture”, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, May 2009 (accepted)
- Bai Y., Wierzbicki T., “Forming severity concept for predicting sheet necking under complex loading histories”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 50 (6), 1012-1022, 2008
- Bai Y., Teng X., Wierzbicki T., “On the application of stress triaxiality formula for plane strain fracture testing”, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, (131), 021002-1-10, 2009
- Santosa S., Wierzbicki T., Hanssen A., Langseth M., “Experimental and numerical studies of foam-filled sections”, International Journal of Impact Engineering, (24) 509-534, 2000
- Hanssen A.G, Langseth M., Hopperstad OS, “Static crushing of square aluminum extrusions with aluminum foam filler”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 41(8), 967-993, 1999
- Santosa S., Wierzbicki T., “On the modeling of crush behaviour of a closed-cell aluminum foam structure”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 46 (4), 645-669, 1998
- Chen W., Wierzbicki T., Santosa S., “Bending collapse of thin-walled beams with ultralight filler: numerical simulation and weight optimization”, Acta Mechanica (153) 183-206, 2002
- Wierzbicki T., Suh M.S., “Indentation of tubes under combined loading”, Internation Journal of Mechanical Sciences, (30), 229-248, 1987
- Keller, M., “Li-ion battery management and system development for HEV applications”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- L5 Plug-In Conversion Module (PCM) owner's manual, release 3, http://www.a123systems.com/hymotion/pdf/L5UserGuide.pdf
- Straubel JB., “Safety testing of Tesla's battery packs”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Deveney B., “Military battery pack integration and performance against requirements”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Chu A., “Next generation automotive class prismatic cells and systems”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Pichler P., “Battery pack development and validation results for large and heavy duty hybrids”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Kitamura M., “GS Yuasa technology of Lithium-ion batteries for automotive applications”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009
- Sahraei E., Wierzbicki T., “Development of a constitutive and computational model for the li-ion battery cell”, to be submitted for International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2010
- Baker W.E., Togami T.C., Weydert J.C., Weidert J.C., “Static and dynamic properties of high-density metal honeycombs”, International Journal of Impact Engineering, (21)3, 149-165, 1998
- Anderman M., “Electric, plug-in, and hybrid vehicles: demonstration, niche markets, and mass markets”, proceeding of the AABC-09 Conference, CA, USA, 2009