This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation of PU Over-molded Thermoplastic Steering Wheel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automotive steering wheel (SW) is generally manufactured with metal armature and polyurethane / polypropylene (PU / PP) overmolding. The metal armature is used to provide structural stiffness and strength while PU / PP foam gives shape, touch and feel. Developed market use cast Magnesium or Aluminum as armature material, however emerging markets use steel for armature construction. With additional requirements (airbag integration, functional integration, aesthetics, compact and light weigh) being added to steering wheel, the steering wheel design is becoming more and more complex in nature.
Thermoplastic SW offers competitive stiffness, impact, ductility and chemical resistance characteristics needed for the global automotive markets. A thermoplastic SW had been developed from a unique recyclable polycarbonate. Subsequently, for the emerging markets, an injection molded SW with over-molded foam, is designed and developed with further optimized mass, processing complexity and performance.
This paper focuses upon the design, analysis, physical testing, and correlation studies of single piece PU over-molded thermoplastic steering wheel. Different testing details for an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and performances of thermoplastic wheel against different requirements are presented.
|Technical Paper||A Simple Approach to Selecting Automotive Body-in-White Primary-Structural Materials|
|Technical Paper||Sheet Fabricated Aluminum Wheels for Smaller Passenger Cars|
|Technical Paper||Design and Development of a Magnesium/Aluminum Door Frame|
CitationNayak, S., Garg, A., Chaturvedi, M., Wieczorek, T. et al., "Performance Evaluation of PU Over-molded Thermoplastic Steering Wheel," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0916, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0916.
- Garg, A. Surisetty, G. Chaturvedi, M. Jaarda, E. “High Performance Thermoplastic Steering Wheel” SIAT Technical Paper 287 2009
- Yang, Z.Z. Raman, S.V. Ma, D. “Virtual Tests for Facilitating Steering Wheel Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1072 2005
- Jaarda, E. Chaturvedi, M. “Prototype Design and Testing of a Thermoplastic Steering Wheel Armature,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1218 2007
- Wieczorek, T. Trappe, A. Meyers, A. Goyette, J. et al. “An Efficient Solution for Hard or Soft Seamless Airbag Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1223 2005
- Garg, A. Jaarda, E. “Lenkrad aus Thermoplastischem Kunststoff” MTZ / ATZ Journal 68 860 863 2007
- Tan, B. H. R. Khoo, H. H. “An LCA Study of a Primary Aluminum Supply Chain” Journal of Cleaner Production 13 6 607 618 2005