This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Comprehensive Performance of Mufflers under Different Vehicle Running Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effective matching of the exhaust mufflers and engines is an important measure to reduce the noise emission of running vehicles. Currently, the matching is based mainly on the steady state performance of engine. The muffler's influence on a vehicle's noise emission and sound quality under different running conditions is not generally considered. A comprehensive performance evaluation method is proposed to describe the muffler's influence on a commercial vehicle's noise emission, sound quality and exhaust back pressure under multiple working conditions. The weighted insertion loss and linearity coefficient were defined based on the test data of the exhaust noise under different engine loads and speeds. A comprehensive performance evaluation method was defined from the test data analysis of engine exhaust noise with different mufflers. Finally, the simulation results of the exhaust noise of a vehicle with different mufflers were compared with test data. The results show that the comprehensive performance evaluation function can describe the insertion loss, sound quality and exhaust back pressure of the muffler under different vehicle speeds and loads, and it can be used in the process of mufflers design.
|Technical Paper||Prediction of Muffler Radiated Noise for a Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Sound Quality of Exterior Idling Noise of Small Diesel Truck|
|Technical Paper||Using Numerical Acoustics to Diagnose Noise Problems|
CitationZheng, S., Hao, P., Xia, H., Lian, X. et al., "Dynamic Comprehensive Performance of Mufflers under Different Vehicle Running Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0901, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0901.
- Li Linling Huang Qibai Lian Xiaomin et al. Analysis of evaluation indexes and design method of automotive muffler Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery 2007 38 5 32 36
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Pianese V. DeMartino S. Curion R. An Acoustic Design Procedure for Intake Systems: 1D Analysis and Experimental Validation SAE Paper: 2004-01-0412 2004
- Bilawchuk S. Fyfe K.R. Comparison and implementation of the various numerical methods used for calculating transmission loss in silencer systems Applied Acoustics 2003 64 9 903 916
- Song Yanrong Ge Yunshan Zhang Hongbo A study on engine-exhaust muffler coupled model Automotive Engineering 2005 27 6 719 723
- Sathyanarayana Y. Munjal M. L. A hybrid approach for aeroacoustic analysis of the engine exhaust system Applied Acoustics 2000 60 4 425 450
- Pang Jian Shen Gang He Hua Automotive Noise and Vibration-Principle and Application Beijing Being Institute of Technology Press 2006 189 394